Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SR102 DNS lookup issues

This is a discussion on SR102 DNS lookup issues within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi I've a new Sky Unlimited BB customer and am seeing periodic internet connection problems. In summary, it looks as ...

mrbmrb is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: CMLGS
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky SR102
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

SR102 DNS lookup issues

Hi

I've a new Sky Unlimited BB customer and am seeing periodic internet connection problems.
      In summary, it looks as if the internet is down, but it is the failure to connect to sites that is the real symptom.
      The sol'n I've found so far is to reboot the SR102 router.

I've done some digging and the issue seems to be the SR102 router's failure to resolve DNS queries from clients (PCs, tablet, mobile). By default the DHCP assigned DNS is the router and on a PC nslookup of any host fails. The internet is up, since the router stats shows the ADSL line is up (around 15M down 1 up) and the router log is only showing periodic line training every night around 2am. Also some downloads are continuing just fine. Connections are wired so wireless is not an issue.

I have an app which periodically pings Sky.com | Your Home for the Latest Sky News, Sports & Entertainment and Google (https://code.google.com/p/internetconnectivitymonitor/) and it shows that some periods of host unreachability extend for quite a few minutes where neither host can be pinged. Sometimes though it lasts just a few seconds.

I'm going to experiment with using OpenDNS servers on another PC and ICM pinging ip addresses directly i.e. with no DNS involved, to see if I can pin this down any further. Interestingly the router's Diagnostic DNS lookup function appeared to work fine with Sky.com | Your Home for the Latest Sky News, Sports & Entertainment so maybe it's the router's DNS proxy functionality that is at fault. Also the router firmware is 2.1r.3761.R.

Anyone else see similar?

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Re: SR102 DNS lookup issues

Update on this - when this happens it appears that no new traffic is making it past the router at all - all I get is DNS no such name responses and pings time out to ip addresses. Going directly to the Opendns name servers doesn't work either.

Sometimes the connectivity returns but usually only a router restart will work. Sometimes I can restart it remotely via the admin interface, other times it doesn't respond (but I can always ping it) so have to unplug it.

Sky support have said to call back when the issue is occurring before I restart the router. Interestingly when I asked about getting the ADSL login details so that I could test out another router they said that they had no access to them!

Hedgehog1979 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01506
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HDw box X2
      Thanks

When this happens do you have anything that could be using your upload like iCloud or any other cloud services?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks

Hi

Yes I do have cloud services e.g. dropbox, googledrive etc. but nothing was working - various online services e.g. Skype, Teamviewer had icons showing loss of connectivity.

Connectivity has been particularly bad today - I've had to restart the router over a dozen times so far. :-(
      I called Sky support who were pretty helpful. They confirmed that my exchange connection was fine, but when they did a line test when the connectivity appeared down, after the line came back up the connectivity recovered without a router restart. They concluded that the problem was a "line throughput issue" even though my speeds are pretty good at 15/1Mbps and have escalated it to network operations (BT Openreach) who should have it fixed in the exchange within 48h. They have scheduled a call back then to ensure that I'm happy.

So I'm still puzzled as to what the issue is, but here's hoping!

Hedgehog1979 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01506
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HDw box X2
      Thanks

I hope they get it fixed for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hedgehog1979 For This Useful Post:

mrbmrb (14-07-15)

Danofthewibble is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub v2
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrbmrb View Post
      Hi

So I'm still puzzled as to what the issue is, but here's hoping!
      Hope all you like; it's quite clearly a huge bug in the SR102. I've now had three of them, and they all have exactly the same issues - with careful Googling, you can find plenty of people with the same issue.

Proof that it's the SR102 -
      1) Three separate routers have the issue
      2) Replaced all cables, filters, settings
      3) Wireless and ethernet equally affected
      4) Third party router worked fine for months (until the router itself got killed by a toddler) without any connection/throughput issues.

Sky did suggest I try in the master socket again, but they agreed that I have now had the issue with the hardware in two houses, in two entirely different cities, that my connection was not the issue.

Just got the new firmware today though. Hopefully they may have fixed this long-standing bug at last. I don't hold out hope though.

I shall be buying a new third party router ASAP. Even if it's against the fibre T&Cs.

Thanks

Tx for the info. I did search around before but there's so many "dropping connection" issues around - and those appeared to be line issues. Yours was the only report I could find that actually confirmed that internet connectivity was down but the line connection was still up.

I'm still having a few issues but it's nothing like as bad as a couple of days ago. Will see what Sky say this pm.

I did suspect the SR102 at first since a restart always "fixed" it but was rather surprised when it recovered after the line was actually dropped when Sky did the line test. Next time I'll pull the ADSL cable to see if that works.
      But if it's not fixed soon, then now I've figured out my ADSL auth info from a network trace, I'll be trying out my old Netgear Routers (WNR2000 & DGN2000).

I haven't looked into the SR102 firmware yet - I'm on Version 2.1r.3727.R.

I also considered going to fibre but Sky don't yet offer it in my area (BT & TT do though) but that's another thread ...

Thanks

By chance it happened again so I pulled the ADSL wire, waited until the smiley face light went out and replugged - the router reconnected and connectivity was restored. So the fix now seems to be to drop the line.
      I wonder if obtaining a new ip address each time the link reconnects is relevant somehow?

Thanks

Sky called and the issue isn't resolved, mainly because they forgot to note down the key issue i.e. that I was having to restart the router (and hence drop the line) and so network ops had been looking at the line drops (and of course found no line problem) - gah! They're putting it back to networks and calling again on Sat ... No hint of them being concerned about any potential router issues ...

Bob_H is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrbmrb View Post
      Sky called and the issue isn't resolved, mainly because they forgot to note down the key issue i.e. that I was having to restart the router (and hence drop the line) and so network ops had been looking at the line drops (and of course found no line problem) - gah! They're putting it back to networks and calling again on Sat ... No hint of them being concerned about any potential router issues ...
      I understood that this was a Windows 8/8.1 problem (i.e. not necessarily linked to the Sky modem) - there are a lot of similar comments on the Windows forums. Anyway, I've found a work round which means that you don't need to reset the Sky router itself. All I need to do is start up the Safari browser on my Ipod Touch (which is linked to the same modem by Wifi) and load a page. Any web page seems to work - it appears that the Ipod's DNS lookup request "clears the blockage" on the PC's DNS functionality.
      Once Safari has loaded a page, you can go back to the PC & refresh the page (F5 key) you were trying to load.

Hope it works for you - and that Windows 10 sorts it out for good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast