Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Connection dropping and slow speeds

This is a discussion on Connection dropping and slow speeds within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; We've had intermittent broadband drops and speeds varying from 6Mb to 100k on our broadband for months and we're getting ...

Aeia is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stonehouse
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Connection dropping and slow speeds

We've had intermittent broadband drops and speeds varying from 6Mb to 100k on our broadband for months and we're getting nowhere with getting this solved. As it wasn't as bad we didn't report any drops for a while (March was last attempt) but now it's awful again and customer support want to start from the begining again. They've asked me to send a photo of our setup but I've ust discovered we did that just 1 week ago. We're out in a village so no fibre so just basic ADSL! So far we've had

Back in March

Sky Engineer visit - did nothing as confirmed house wiring and router setup was OK
      BT Openreach visit 1 (no noise on line so couldn't do anything but he replaced our master socket for a newer one with a filter
      BT Open reach visit 2 (again no noise on line but more helpful engineer swapped the pair we are on between the street cabinet and the exchange as this was quite easy for him to do).

We've tried

New router and filters from Sky
      Plugging router directly into test socket on master socket
      replacing our home phone
      Last time it was regularly dropping I switched everything off in the house apart from the Hub and my laptop which was on battery power and it was still dropping so not internal interference (even central heating was off).
      Used a non Sky router

I think there's little point in a Sky engineer visit as they can only check as far as the master socket and by using the test socket and the problem still happening it can't be that. However customer support are insisting on yet another photograph of our setup (last time they said the ADSL cable wasn't one of theirs and was too long, we got sent another one which was exactly the same length 2m!).

It's either something to do with Sky's broadband equipment at the exchange end or the line. Last Openreach engineer said it could be REIN noise which is hard to track down especially if its intermittent. What normally happens is the line drops then it keeps trying to connect and sometimes eventually connects at a lower speed. It will sometimes stay up for hours other times just minutes and speed varies between 6M and 100k! What does seem to help sometimes is if I take the phone off the hook it will reconnect (but this was just an observation so may have just been chance).

I don't want to go through staying home for engineer visits who will just say there's no noise on the line so nothing they can do yet again... I have some IT networking background so I know there's nothing wrong with our setup at home so would be pointless to send a sky engineer out. Customer support have run "line tests" but never had anything conclusive from these, sometimes they say there is noise other times not. There's no obvious noise when we get the drops. It needs some form of long term monitoring either by openreach or Sky!! Anyone got any suggestions?

Andrea

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Connection dropping and slow speeds

What does seem to help sometimes is if I take the phone off the hook it will reconnect (but this was just an observation so may have just been chance).
      This can indicate a High Resistance fault, which if it is intermittent can be difficult to trace. Open up the router settings and bring up the statistics pane and keep it in the corner of your screen. If your connection drops or slows down, pick up the phone and dial your own number. What happens to the noise margin in the Stats pane? If it jumps up that indicates an HR fault. Report this to the BTO engineer and he may be able to trace the fault.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Connection dropping and slow speeds

HR fault or REIN. HR fault can only be fixed by Openreach. REIN, if you haven't got one try a Mk2 vDSL faceplate. This has a REIN filter built. If you already have a faceplate & it is of the type without the REIN filter try fitting a BT 80B RF3. That has a similar filter to the Mk2.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.