Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

ADSL2+ Broadband Unlimited - DSL Stats for ASUS DSL-N66U - High ping?

This is a discussion on ADSL2+ Broadband Unlimited - DSL Stats for ASUS DSL-N66U - High ping? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Those extension wires are connected to the back of the socket, looks like cat5e cabling though....

FreewayCola is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: ASUS DSL-N66U
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: ADSL2+ Broadband Unlimited - DSL Stats for ASUS DSL-N66U - High ping?

Those extension wires are connected to the back of the socket, looks like cat5e cabling though.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,589 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FreewayCola View Post
      Those extension wires are connected to the back of the socket, looks like cat5e cabling though.
      You do have an NTE5 socket, like this - How to test your ADSL in the Master Test Socket

If so, that may be the problem. Remove the extension wires from the back of the socket and fix them to the front plate. Fit the ones on terminal A to the No 5 terminal and those on B to the No 2 terminal. The rest can be wrapped up out of the way. Just to check, when you have removed the extension wires, leaving only the incoming wires connected to terminals A and B, check your stats in the Test socket. There should be a difference from the last check.

There is a special tool for fixing the wires to the faceplate which can be got for a few pence from B & Q, Maplins etc.. In the absence of the tool, you can use the edge of a plastic credit card. Don't use a screwdriver, it will wreck the terminals.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I have to say I'm finding your instructions rather confusing I understand that the problem might be the wiring into that socket. So I will assume that's what you are talking about. Is there a way to turn it all of or is there no current?

Thanks

There is a slight current when a call is coming in, but nothing to worry about. Just remove the face plate (2 screws) then remove the next plate (2 screws) and check how many wires are connected to the terminals marked A and B. If there are more than one wire on each terminal then it is incorrectly wired. Remove all but the incoming wires and take your stats.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks Isitme for your all help again. There's the blue wire that's connected and a white wire that's connected to another terminal. One of them appears to be hitting the terminal marginally whereas the other is very close to the screw. Not sure if that'll make much of a difference. I notice that the main wire is bent into the NTE5 socket which makes me think that might affect the signal?

I'm still getting high latency, my speed tests say that I have buffer overload. I'm hitting 60ms latency regularly when doing those tests. :/

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL2+ ~6Mb
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ & mini box
      Thanks

Thanks Isitme for your all help again. There's the blue wire that's connected and a white wire that's connected to another terminal. One of them appears to be hitting the terminal marginally whereas the other is very close to the screw. Not sure if that'll make much of a difference. I notice that the main wire is bent into the NTE5 socket which makes me think that might affect the signal?

I'm still getting high latency, my speed tests say that I have buffer overload. I'm hitting 60ms latency regularly when doing those tests. :/
      The wires used on a BT line for calls and broadband are the blue-with-white-line and the white-with-blue-line. Any other cables connected at master socket are unnecessary.
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky

Thanks

..................................... There's the blue wire that's connected and a white wire that's connected to another terminal. One of them appears to be hitting the terminal marginally whereas the other is very close to the screw. Not sure if that'll make much of a difference. I notice that the main wire is bent into the NTE5 socket which makes me think that might affect the signal?
      So there are only 2 wires connected to the AB terminals. Where are your extensions connected? Maybe if you can post some pictures of your socket wiring it will help.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Alright well here are my results now

ADSL2+ Broadband Unlimited - DSL Stats for ASUS DSL-N66U - High ping?-screen-shot-2015-06-30-23.24.17.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I just don't understand the terrible results on my ASUS modem which does have 1Gbps Ethernet

Thanks

Gigabit ethernet make no difference to your sync speed, it only comes into play when you are transferring files within your local network.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12