Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Port Forwarding - For Dummies pls

This is a discussion on Port Forwarding - For Dummies pls within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi. I wondered if anyone could help me with Port Forwarding - for dummies - on the SR101. I have ...

jitzykins is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01226
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Port Forwarding - For Dummies pls

Hi.

I wondered if anyone could help me with Port Forwarding - for dummies - on the SR101. I have an IP cam that I can currently view within my network - on wi-fi, but cannot access remotely on my mobile 3G network. I've been trying to sort this out, with very limited computer wizardry, for about 2 months - on and off - now, and getting nowhere.

I'm at the point of going into services, and setting up a new service, but not sure if I should be setting the port to the number already allocated to the IP Cam, but when I try to do this, it's telling me the port is already in use by the router? Am I doing the wrong thing please?

Is there any way to really dumb it down for me, because I'm really struggling with any of the information that's already available to me on the net?

Another question, would my mobile phone IP address be static?

Thanks for any help, I'll try and answer any questions or give you any information that you need.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: Port Forwarding - For Dummies pls

Welcome to the forum kitzykins.

There are a few of things to do and the specifics can vary with the IP Camera hat you are using and how you are referring to your WAN IP Address.

1st set up and test the IP Cam locally. Make sure that you change from the default port number. Something in the range between 7000 to 10000 should be Ok.

Ensure that you have reserved an IP Address for the IP Camera. I'd suggest something such as 192.168.0.100 so it doesn't conflict with anything else and is clear to spot. This will ensure that it will always use the same local IP Address on your home network. To do this you need to configure the router. You'll need to reboot the router once this has been completed.

The next part is to set up the port forwarding on the router. As you have now set a fixed point for the IP Camera to connect to, the port forwarding will be reliable. UPnP might be used with the IP Camera. If so then great, but in practise I found that both were required in some cases.

The next part is to get your phone to refer to the WAN IP Address (that's the one seen from outside your home network). Use google (or any other search engine) and type "what is my ip address" and you'll see what your WAN IP Address currently is. Unless you have Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro the IP Address will change periodically. You can use a 'dynamic address'. There are various providers. Each has an app or small program that you can install on a computer, but only DynDNS can currently be added to the router's settings. Sadly this service now costs an annual fee.

If you use a dynamic IP Address service, you simply put that in where the app on your phone asks for an address.

Ok that's a suggested order to do things, but I haven't discussed the specific pages on the router.

On this forum we have a collection of guide for the SR101. You will find them all in the 'Articles' section (link above). I hope that you'll find these easy to read through now you have a clearer idea where you are heading. The SR101 guides are also in this link: Sky Hub SR101

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Hi Scubbie, thanks for the quick reply.

To let you know where I am with it - I have tested the camera locally, it does work on my wifi at home, and I set up a static IP address for the camera/changed the port to one in the 8000's.

It's kinda the port forwarding that I'm struggling with, BUT, you've given me something to think about. At the moment, I'm guessing what IP addresses go where, because I don't really understand the process - the instructions I've followed mainly seem to be something to do with gaming, so, I don't know whether I should entering information in the Inbound or Outbound area. One of the things you've said has made me think I've gone wrong, I think I've been entering the ROUTER IP address instead of the CAMERA IP address? Which may account for the message saying it is already in use?

I'm not sure what UPnP is, but I'm going off to Google now!

I think I understand what you're saying about the dynamic IP address and it's not something I've done, so I'll look into this too.

Thanks ever-so, appreciate it. I'm going to have a go at this tomorrow (I need to allow myself a good few hours to try and get my head in the right mindset!).

Jane

EDIT: UPnP! Yup, I know what that is now! It definitely needs port forwarding.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You could try using a camera app on your phone which simplifies the process. I use Asee which is quite good. It will work with many types of IP cameras. Don't bother with the paid version as it still has adverts flashing at the top of the screen. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....ASee&hl=en_GB

I use port 8888 which seems to work fine. First set it up in the Services as IPCAM, TCP/UDP, with 8888 as the start and finish ports. Then go to Firewall rules and click Add. In the pane that opens use the dropdown to find the Service you have set up (IPCAM) and select it. Against Action, select Allow Always and send to the IP address you have chosen for the camera. For WAN users, select Any. This will allow you to connect from any network. Start and finish remain blank or 0.0.0.0. Log Never. This should get you up and running. Make sure the camera's IP address is reserved in the router's Address Reservation list.

It is really imperative that you get a DDNS address as the address of your router is liable to change at any time. You can use the existing router IPv4 address as a test until you can get a DDNS set up. This address is shown in the Broadband Port against IPv4 Address.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks a lot Isitme. I've still not got round to doing any of this yet because the weather has been unusually nice up north - we don't get it very often so I had to sit in the garden!

Can I ask another thing please? I think this may be another thing that I've been doing wrong. Am I choosing a totally new port when I set up the port forwarding? I'm not using the port that the camera works on, am I?

Thanks again, I really appreciate your patience and help.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I'm not using the port that the camera works on, am I?
      The port you forward is the port in for your camera, that is the only way it can be found. Lets say your public IP address is 2.222.222.222, accessing this from the internet will only take you to the router. To connect to the camera you would put in 2.222.222.222:8888, assuming that 8888 is the port registered for your camera. Likewise if you are using a DDNS address it would be something like 'myaddress.dyndns.org:8888'.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.