Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Setting up Linksys EA2700 with Sky SR102

This is a discussion on Setting up Linksys EA2700 with Sky SR102 within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I would appreciate any help to setup the EA2700 (should be delivered this week) with an existing SR102. The ...

topiwala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Setting up Linksys EA2700 with Sky SR102

Hi,

I would appreciate any help to setup the EA2700 (should be delivered this week) with an existing SR102. The thinking behind this was to improve the LAN and Wifi connections.

I know I only have broadband but it works pretty well and don't feel I need the download speeds of fibre yet.

I've recently read the security on Linksys routers isn't great, is there a work around for this?

I have a synology nas drive currently accessible via port forwarding and would like to do the same again if possible unless there is an alternative?

Thanks in advance,

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Setting up Linksys EA2700 with Sky SR102

If you connect the Linksys through the ethernet port as detailed here - How to connect two Routers together You will not need to worry about the security as this will be handled by the Hub. The Linksys DHCP server will be disabled. As the IP address will be given out by to Hub to any device connected to the Linksys, you should not have a problem with your Nas.

You could connect with the WAN port following the guide here- Using the DLink DIR613. but that may make it difficult to connect to your Nas as it would be on a separate network. Using the Hub's DMZ you would have to make sure the firewall was enabled in the Linksys.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks Tom,

When the Linksys router arrives I'll give the first option of connecting the two routers a go.

Fingers crossed all goes well,

Thanks

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi,
      So I've now received the router and begun following the instructions to connect two routers.

I began by reseting the EA2700. Got the IP Address to deselect DHCP server and gave it the IP Address 192.168.0.250. Having applied the settings and connected the EA2700 to the SR102, I connected my laptop(with wifi off) to the EA2700. This worked fine with the laptop being able to get to internet pages.

I the tried to connect to the EA2700 via its IP address to check wifi settings. Typing 192.168.0.250 didn't bring anything, tried the original IP address that didn't work either. Went into ipconfig with the EA2700 connected via Ethernet cable but that didn't bring an IP address for it.

I'm at a loss where I go from here. I'm also not sure what wi-fi configurations to have.

Would appreciate any help, thanks

Thanks

Does the EA2700 show up in the Hubs attached devices list?

Try using another browser. I have a Dlink router connected to my Hub, it does not show in the attached devices list but I can still access it using its IP address.

As you have disabled the DHCP server to access it direct you will have to give your laptop a fixed address. Such as this-
      IP address....192.168.0.2
      Subnet ........255.255.255.0.
      Gateway......192.168.0.250

This will allow you to enter its settings and set up the wireless as you wish.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi Tom,

I went back and started again yesterday.

The EA2700 now appears in the Network's list. There are two icons one ending in AP. Should this happen? I did check the properties and it gives the IP address 19.168.0.250 but I can't connect or configure it.
      I did notice that it also comes up on the Wireless list (SSID) but is unprotected - again not sure if this should happen.
      I've checked on the SR102 for attached devices but the EA2700 doesn't appear even though its connected.
      Not sure what to do next, thanks

Thanks

I did notice that it also comes up on the Wireless list (SSID) but is unprotected - again not sure if this should happen.
      As I said, you will have to plug your EA2700 directly into your PC after giving your PC the above mentioned IP addresses. You can then set up the security, channel, SSID etc.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks Tom, I'll try that tonight. Didn't quite get the picture first time around.

To be able to benefit from the better wi-fi speed on the EA2700 would you suggest disabling this on the SR102 or have both running at the same time?
      Should I separate the 2.4ghz & 5ghz for wi-fi settings i.e SSID?

Thanks

Thanks

I would disable the wireless on the Hub. The 2.4 and 5ghz frequencies usually have separate SSIDs

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

I've managed to get everything working as it should.

Thanks for your help Tom