Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Replacing SR102 with something else (Microtik + separate modem) - technical advice needed

This is a discussion on Replacing SR102 with something else (Microtik + separate modem) - technical advice needed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I'm an ex-O2 customer. My newfangled SR102 sucks, even worse than the old Thompson router. I've complained about it to ...

csmitheu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Replacing SR102 with something else (Microtik + separate modem) - technical advice needed

I'm an ex-O2 customer. My newfangled SR102 sucks, even worse than the old Thompson router. I've complained about it to Sky to no avail. Periodically it locks up, refuses to respond via the web interface and snuffs it periodically. Power cycling it fixes it instantly but it's doing it 5 times a day. Sky replaced it and the new one did it as well. That was as far as they went. The WAN interface is still up and operational as their test routines still work fine so they say there is no problem and refuse to help further assuming I'm a wally. No difference if you use wired ethernet or WiFi. Various conversations and the highest level person I could talk to doesn't even know what a packet is.

Now I'm not a wally. Not wishing to give up on such a thing, I fired up wireshark and watched the packets on the wire and used tcpdump on a remote system I have access to. Basically a few bytes are send successfully, then the TCP connection is dropped. Same story every time. This plays havoc with Windows' network detection as the packets that it sends are smaller than when they drop so windows thinks the network is up even though the router is nuking the packets. I tried from an OpenBSD host as well on the LAN to eliminate Windows from the picture too.

Consequentially I'm going through periods of pain, only softened by the sweet giffgaff tether to my phone.

So, the SR102 is a lemon and that leaves me with the only option which is to replace it with something usable until the contract runs out.

So I'm looking at a Microtik RB951 and using a separate modem as an ADSL/PPPoE bridge.

Now there seems to be lots of conflicting info on what Sky actually use. Is it a PPPoA or PPPoE or MER or what? There's also some MER nasty with DHCP 60/61 going on and MAC cloning. Is there anything official that points out what I need to consider before I splash the cash on some kit.

Either that or should I just cut my losses, pay up for the rest of the year, get my MAC code and grab Zen/Andrews and Arnold in and take this SR102 outside and punish it for its sins?

Any technical opinion, information or ideas welcome.
      Last edited by csmitheu; 11-08-15 at 01:20 AM.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Replacing SR102 with something else (Microtik + separate modem) - technical advice needed

Now there seems to be lots of conflicting info on what Sky actually use. Is it a PPPoA or PPPoE or MER or what?
      On ADSL Sky at one time used a mixture of PPPoA and MER. Since the introduction of Fibre they have gradually dropped the MER and I think all ADSL lines now use PPPoA. Option 61 is only used on Fibre to authenticate with the Sky server. It has no use on ADSL.

As for replacing the SR102 any ADSL2+ router will do, there is no need to clone MACs. The username and password are all that is required. You can use a separate ADSL2+ Modem if you wish. In which case any non ADSL router can be used to connect.

You can check what your line is on by looking at the Status page of the router or on the Statistics pane.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Re: Replacing SR102 with something else (Microtik + separate modem) - technical advice needed

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      On ADSL Sky at one time used a mixture of PPPoA and MER. Since the introduction of Fibre they have gradually dropped the MER and I think all ADSL lines now use PPPoA. Option 61 is only used on Fibre to authenticate with the Sky server. It has no use on ADSL.

As for replacing the SR102 any ADSL2+ router will do, there is no need to clone MACs. The username and password are all that is required. You can use a separate ADSL2+ Modem if you wish. In which case any non ADSL router can be used to connect.

You can check what your line is on by looking at the Status page of the router or on the Statistics pane.
      Perfect. Thanks for your reply.

It's PPPoA by the looks. Now to source a decent ADSL2+ modem. I'm going with the separate modem/router approach as all of the integrated modem routers appear to be poorly maintained and insecure. Plus RouterOS on the Mikrotik routers allows for guest networks on separate VLANs and QoS to stop the kids using up everything on Stampy Longnose videos while I'm working.

CompanionCube is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Mikrotik are nice. Bet RouterOS is Linux (or BSD) under the hood though.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CompanionCube View Post
      Mikrotik are nice. Bet RouterOS is Linux (or BSD) under the hood though.
      It's Linux plus some custom bits chucked over the top.

I wish someone did nice, cheap embedded BSD routers however.
      Last edited by csmitheu; 11-08-15 at 01:20 AM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Latent reply. I canned Sky, paid up early and got Zen in. Everything works perfectly over the same cable pair now. Definitely Sky equipment and network.

gorebrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: VM pfSense 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 on ESX 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Pity you left, but good shout on Mikrotik - I've got an RB2011 in my rack.
      Current Sync 79999/19999