Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Line splitter card

This is a discussion on Line splitter card within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I was with Sky for both Line Rental and BB until last November when my free line rental deal came ...

jem16 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Line splitter card

I was with Sky for both Line Rental and BB until last November when my free line rental deal came to an end. Sky could not manage to compete with the deal I was getting from PlusNet so moved there.

Since then I have been having an issue with incoming calls dropping the Upstream SNR and causing CRC and HEC errors. PlusNet have been very good at getting BT out to try and track down the problem. However we're now at a possible impasse situation with BT saying the line is fine and nothing more can be done.

The problem appears to be at the actual exchange as 2 Openreach engineers have confirmed that these errors rise with my line disconnected at the exchange. Escalation by PlusNet has got a Lift & Shift done which made the problem worse - BB dropped every time the phone rang! So another Lift & Shift back and we're back to the original issue. PlusNet are trying to get the Line Splitter Card changed as it's about the only thing that hasn't been changed and it might just be the cause of the problem. If it's not we're still stuck.

Anyway the point of all of this, is that this problem did not appear to be there when I was with Sky although can't be 100% sure as I wasn't monitoring with RouterStats Lite just quite so often. I have discussed with PlusNet the option of leaving if they can't fix this and I may return to Sky. However I wanted to try to make sure that the same line splitter card would not be used.

Does Sky's SVBN require a line splitter card and at what point in the exchange?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Line splitter card

Each ISP has their own 'box of cards' in the exchange. When you moved providers the connection is removed from the old supplier's box and plugged into the new supplier's. This is the only change made, the line is exactly the same one as used before. If you moved back to Sky the process would be reserved, so no, you would not have the same card. I doubt if Plusnet would want to loose a customer so will probably insist BTO plug you into a different card. I believe each ISP keeps back a percentage of cards to cover this kind of occasion.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Each ISP has their own 'box of cards' in the exchange. When you moved providers the connection is removed from the old supplier's box and plugged into the new supplier's. This is the only change made, the line is exactly the same one as used before.
      The line, whilst not the shortest from the exchange, seems fine. There was also a change made in the cabinet by one of the engineers and that has helped too as it's given a slightly higher speed.

If you moved back to Sky the process would be reserved, so no, you would not have the same card. I doubt if Plusnet would want to loose a customer so will probably insist BTO plug you into a different card.
      PlusNet don't want to lose me but trying to get this changed is proving troublesome. The Customer Relations guy who's dealing with it for me has been excellent but he's at the mercy of BT Openreach, BTw and BT Operate.

BT Operate are refusing to sanction the change of splitter card as they say the line is testing fine and is stable. It is but we keep trying to get through to them that that is not the problem and their incessant line testing is actually causing issues with instability and speed whilst not actually curing the real issue. We're not sure if it will fix the issue but it's the only thing that hasn't been changed.

I believe each ISP keeps back a percentage of cards to cover this kind of occasion.
      They may well do, I don't know.

However it's BT in some form or another that actually have to do the work and so far they are refusing.

seawright is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

This fact sheet from OFCOM:
      LLU Factsheet
      should explain how a telephone line is routed from your property to an LLU service provider such as Sky.
      This applies to all operators who use BT (Openreach) to provide the metallic path from the exchange to your telephone instrument. As you can see the actual system will vary from exchange to exchange depending on where the licensed operator's equipment is installed. Remember Plusnet uses BT to provide their services but with Sky and other LLU operators BT are only responsible for the provision of tie cables and the line which passes from the MDF, at the exchange through PCP and DP to their master socket at your home.

You don't make it clear in your post but I assume that your broadband is ADSL and not fibre.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Sky and most other LLU operators are always at the mercy of BT Openreach, a member of the BT Group. Plusnet, not so much as they are owned by BT. You have a better chance of getting it fixed than if it was with Sky.

Moves to completely separate BT and Openreach are afoot, but this could take years.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      You don't make it clear in your post but I assume that your broadband is ADSL and not fibre.
      It is ADSL - fibre is not available in my cabinet although available at the exchange.

I've looked at your link although I can't say I'm any the wiser I'm afraid. All I'm looking to know is if the Line Splitter Card will be different.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Sky and most other LLU operators are always at the mercy of BT Openreach, a member of the BT Group. Plusnet, not so much as they are owned by BT. You have a better chance of getting it fixed than if it was with Sky.
      I'm afraid not.

All of the sections are independent of one another and PlusNet (even though owned by BT) has no priority. They have to jump through the same hoops as Sky and any other ISP.

I'm sticking with it just now as the PlusNet guy dealing with it has a reputation for not giving up and getting things done. However if he fails I will move if I can be sure that moving to Sky would see a new line splitter card - may not fix it as with this kind of fault it could be something else.

seawright is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jem16 View Post
      I've looked at your link although I can't say I'm any the wiser I'm afraid. All I'm looking to know is if the Line Splitter Card will be different.
      What I was trying to illustrate with my link (not very successfully it would seem) is that with BT the splitting of voice and ADSL broadband uses their equipment whereas with Sky or Talk Talk it uses equipment belonging to the LLU operator which may be in the same building but is physically separate from that of BT. Hence a different splitter.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      What I was trying to illustrate with my link (not very successfully it would seem)
      Not your fault rest assured - I was just a bit confused with it.

is that with BT the splitting of voice and ADSL broadband uses their equipment whereas with Sky or Talk Talk it uses equipment belonging to the LLU operator which may be in the same building but is physically separate from that of BT. Hence a different splitter.
      Thank you.

if the various factions of Bt cannot be persuaded to change the splitter card at least I know moving back to Sky will.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

This sounds very much like a problem I had a few years back. After 11 Openreach engineer visits it was finally fixed by an old school engineer. IIRC the line was put on a fixed profile, less speed but 100% stable. It was stable prior to this issue, it seemed the roll out of some new ADSL2 equipment caused the fault & BT were FULLY aware of the issue (I actually ended up with an area manager visit who confirmed this!). By memory the line had HEC & CRC errors showing on the test equipment when the line to the property was disconnected. ie, the only thing connected to the line card was the JDSU tester.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Bringing back this thread as it's now decision time.

BT Operate could not be persuaded to change the Line Splitter card so the issue has remained. PlusNet would have let me out of my contract back in April but I decided to stay and see what happened. The line had been stable and router connected for over 105 days but still the Upstream SNR drops on every incoming call - apart from calls that come screened via my Truecall unit. Can't understand that side of it - unscreened calls that get straight through as their number is on a starred list always drop the SNR level. However there has never been a disconnection because of this drop fortunately so stuck with it.

Now within my last month of free BB with PlusNet so need to organise either a renewal deal with them or move to Sky and see if it solves the issue. Wish I knew if it was the Line Splitter card causing it but all we know for sure is that the issue is still there when my line is disconnected at the exchange. So it appears it might be faulty BT exchange equipment.

If I do come back to Sky will I need another router? I obviously have the SR101 from a year ago. Would I be given a choice of simply using that or would a new one automatically be ordered?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast