Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Broadband speed issues

This is a discussion on Sky Broadband speed issues within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi my friend has Sky Broadband with an SR101 Modem, within the modem properties it says he has a line ...

Vanaaken is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky Broadband speed issues

Hi my friend has Sky Broadband with an SR101 Modem, within the modem properties it says he has a line speed of 8mb and upload of0.75Mb however whether connected via Ethernet or wi-fi speed tests only ever show a d/l speed of around 1Mb. The exchange in the village is close by however it is only BT's lines in there unlike mine which is running on Sky's own lines.

Even though the modem states 8Mb is it possible he could only be getting1Mb actual speed or is there an issue with the line or modem?

Was going to try my SR101 but have read that they are pre-programmed with the username and password. I tried setting up a 3rd party modem on my line to see if I could get that working so that I could go to his house and try it out with his details, I was using a TP-LINK TD-W8961ND and using the guide on here extracted my username and password however after entering the info the TP-LINKS ADSL light would come on and show my line speed however the internet light did not come and was unable to connect to any sites, have I missed something out or is it hit and miss with 3rd party modems? From memory I had the settings as PPPOA with LLC and 0,38 is there anything else I may have missed?

When I copied the username and password to notepad it was the hubs macaddress@skyadsl|xxxxxxxx I entered the bit before the | in the username and the bit after the | in the password, is that correct?

He also has Sky TV and has an Ethernet cable from this into the modem. We tried putting the sky box into standby mode but it didn't change the speed.

Thanks in advance

Mark
      Last edited by Vanaaken; 13-03-15 at 11:57 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Re: Sky Broadband speed issues

For some reason my original post has disappeared???

Hedgehog1979 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01506
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HDw box X2
      Thanks

I may be wrong but I think that new members posts can be quarantined if they include things such as pictures or anything suspicious.

I think I read your original post briefly about your friend having throughput issues. If I remember correctly it sounded like they were on Sky connect so they may be experiencing being throttled due to traffic management.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the reply the part I added before it disappeared was just the format my adsl username and password was in however I didn't enter my own info. will admin be in touch or the part that caused the issue be removed so that the post can return as I was also interested into finding out why I couldn't get 3rd party modem working.

Hedgehog1979 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01506
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+HDw box X2
      Thanks

If it has been quarantined and there is no issue then it should be be released but it will need one of the mods to do this and due to the time this may not happen tonight.

There are a lot of very knowledgable people on here so I am sure you will get assistance with using a 3rd party router, this is the first place I would come for help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Firstly, if you have a Sky router it will work on your friends line, no need to worry about another router. The login details are unique to the router, not the user, so any Sky router will work on any ADSL line. The same applies to Fibre although the router must have the correct firmware.

As mentioned it looks like he is on Connect, although the upload figure is inconsistent with that. Tell him to go here- BTW Performance Test and do the Test. If the figures are not up to scratch he can do a further diagnostics test by clicking the appropriate button. This is the wholesale site, so will work with Sky lines. If it is a Connect line this one may also work. Test your BT Broadband speed | Help | BT.com Help It will not work on Sky lines.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.