Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless setup problems. Please help!

This is a discussion on Wireless setup problems. Please help! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, i was hoping someone could possibly help me find out the problem i'm having with my wireless setup. Basically ...

Lukeh1983 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wireless setup problems. Please help!

Hi, i was hoping someone could possibly help me find out the problem i'm having with my wireless setup.
      Basically i have the sky mid package and originally I had it setup with the yellow ethernet cable, plugged straight into my p.c. This worked fine for a while and i even done some 'port forwarding' to forward ports for Utorrent and MSN Messenger. These both were working fine, but i noticed everything was all a little slow.
      So i rang sky helpline and they said my line is capable of 4.9MBS and that they will cap my line to this speed, as my router was trying to get faster than this and topping out.. They also said that i should plug the router into the main BT line and keep wire short as possible to improve speeds. As i had my line plugged in upstairs into an extension of the main BT line, i decided to plug it straight into the Main socket downstairs, but as i dont have a laptop and i cant move my p.c downstairs i had to get the wireless dongle, and have a wireless setup.
      I got it all up and running now, and when i log into router with the 'admin' & 'sky' i can see that it is connected at 3.9MBS which is a bit faster than before, however it is'nt actually running that fast, i have done online speed tests and they all say D/L of 330KBS. When before with the ethernet cable setup i was getting speeds of D/L 2.9MBS. Also iv'e noticed that Utorrent is really slow now and same with MSN Messenger. Should i give up and go back to the ethernet cable setup, and just suffer with only a max of 2.9MBS even though i know my line is capable of 4.9MBS?
      Any help much apreciated! Sorry for the essay!

2. Advertisement
      Lukeh1983 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sorry forgot to post stats,

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/S Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 158938 192636 0 8382 35625 01:34:33
      LAN 10M/100M 338 0 0 14 0 01:35:54
      WLAN 11M/54M 193734 152985 0 35721 8766 01:35:44

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3644 kbps 396 kbps
      Line Attenuation 51.0 db 32.0 db
      Noise Margin 7.3 db 22.0 db

Also should mention that the wireless network connections status says the signal is very good, nearly always 4/5 bars most of the time.