Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Options for new ADSL modem/router to replace DG384GT

This is a discussion on Options for new ADSL modem/router to replace DG384GT within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've been a sky customer for over eleven years, and for a long part of that have had a white ...

paulhurleyuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ashington
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Options for new ADSL modem/router to replace DG384GT

I've been a sky customer for over eleven years, and for a long part of that have had a white Netgear DG384GT. Over the last year its become problematic. Every day one of the dozen or so wireless devices in the house (tablet, laptop, phone) gets refused a connection. Restarting the device has no effect but restarting the DG384GT resolves the issue.

I've phoned sky several times to no luck, and the last time they suggested a new router might be needed, but as mine is 'out of warranty' I would have to pay for a new Sky one. As what I read is that its not great, and pricey I'd rather spend my money on my own modem/router. I've recorded my current username and password via a website and the MAC address.

Any suggestions for suitable ADSL modem/routers that are likely to work with my connection. I've read the threads about PPOa / MER but can't tell which my line will support (I assume PPOa due to the age of the router). Ideally I'd pay about 50-70.

2. Advertisement
      tenar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newcastle NINE
      Broadband ISP: sky fibre max
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

Re: Options for new ADSL modem/router to replace DG384GT

these router are now being replaced for free

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I have also read that the DG834GT is being replaced free, except postage. Later routers out of warranty cost about 30 to replace.

If you want to buy your own there are plenty of recommendations on the forum. One of the best value for money routers is the http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-D2-W...ss+adsl+router It is the latest wireless AC spec, has gigabit ports and is dual band. It can aso be used if you convert to fibre in the future.

I don't think you need worry about MER, I think all Sky ADSL lines have been converted to PPPoA.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

paulhurleyuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ashington
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I have also read that the DG834GT is being replaced free, except postage. Later routers out of warranty cost about 30 to replace.
      Interesting. Both the phone support person and the social media person I contacted via Twitter have said I'm out of warranty so will have to pay for a new Sky Hub. I wonder if there's some magic thing to say to get a free replacement (like 'I want to leave' maybe).

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If you want to buy your own there are plenty of recommendations on the forum. One of the best value for money routers is the http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-D2-W...ss+adsl+router It is the latest wireless AC spec, has gigabit ports and is dual band. It can aso be used if you convert to fibre in the future.

I don't think you need worry about MER, I think all Sky ADSL lines have been converted to PPPoA.
      Cool, good to know, and thanks for the recomendation. That was on my wishlist, along with Asus DSL-N55U - 300Mbps Dual Band Wireless N Router ADSL 2/2+ Modem Router, 802.11n, Gigabit Lan, Gigabit LAN, 2x USB, Print FTP UPnP Server, HD Streaming, 3 Year Warranty: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories