Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By Rave

Wanted to move router to a more central position in the house, now I'm experiencing slow speeds

This is a discussion on Wanted to move router to a more central position in the house, now I'm experiencing slow speeds within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, This was almost expected, as I know the risks of using a longer cable and was expecting slower ...

Rave is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Wanted to move router to a more central position in the house, now I'm experiencing slow speeds

Hi all,

This was almost expected, as I know the risks of using a longer cable and was expecting slower speeds, but it's almost a crawl!

Our phone line is on one side of the house, on the windowsill. For three years all the devices in the house have been mostly on the other side of the room, which made them have really flaky connections, so I decided I'd move the router.

First I tried a longer phone cable extension, and that was a joke. It was slower than a dead cow in a race, so I figured trying a longer ADSL RJ11 cable would be fine. I bought a Cat5e cable with RJ11 connectors crimped instead of ethernet.

But no, it's slightly faster but still pretty bad. Extremely bad, even, but at least now the whole house gets some nice Wi Fi signal! Not the end result I'm after, though.

So what are my options? For the record, it's a 10m cable I've tried for both. Ideally, I'd like to have the router where I've placed it now so the whole house keeps the great signal. It's on a high shelf, wheras before it was on a low shelf, however I believe the cable is the issue here, although I was told that a 10m ADSL cable shouldn't make a whole lot of difference to the connection, but I get a nice speed with my old 1m cable.

Is there anything I can do about this?

2. Advertisement
      eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Wanted to move router to a more central position in the house, now I'm experiencing slow sp

Try hard wiring an extension socket from the master faceplate but connect ONLY pins 2 & 5 with a good quality twisted pair cable. Extension cables may have up to 6 wires connected, one of which, pin 3 from memory, can act as an interference aerial. Not sure about the RJ11 cable but again there may be too many wires connected.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Sky
      Sky TV: SkyQ
      Thanks

Re: Wanted to move router to a more central position in the house, now I'm experiencing slow sp

A long time ago I wired an ethernet cable from a downstairs room to an upstairs room which has provided a great backbone for my system over the years. I have my Sky router near one and another router at the other end to provide a wifi hotspot at the other and ethernet ports for wired devices.

It is seriously the best option for people committed to getting good internet throughout the home over the long term.
      As has been reported before, I have an upstairs wifi hotspot (but ethernet through loft area to all rooms, too) then a front downstairs and rear downstairs wifi hotspot.

Wifi has got better over the years but I'm a cynic.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eyemdee View Post
      Try hard wiring an extension socket from the master faceplate but connect ONLY pins 2 & 5 with a good quality twisted pair cable. Extension cables may have up to 6 wires connected, one of which, pin 3 from memory, can act as an interference aerial. Not sure about the RJ11 cable but again there may be too many wires connected.
      Alright, I'll look into making a plan for that as I don't have an extension socket around here. Is it worth getting a new faceplate, I mean would that help in any way? Ours is extremely old.

Quote Originally Posted by bubblegun View Post
      A long time ago I wired an ethernet cable from a downstairs room to an upstairs room which has provided a great backbone for my system over the years. I have my Sky router near one and another router at the other end to provide a wifi hotspot at the other and ethernet ports for wired devices.

It is seriously the best option for people committed to getting good internet throughout the home over the long term.
      As has been reported before, I have an upstairs wifi hotspot (but ethernet through loft area to all rooms, too) then a front downstairs and rear downstairs wifi hotspot.

Wifi has got better over the years but I'm a cynic.
      So from what I can gather from that, are you saying to have my Sky router as close to the telephone socket as possible, then run an ethernet cable from the router to another router in order to have that routers WiFi signal central?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Is it worth getting a new faceplate, I mean would that help in any way? Ours is extremely old.
      If you fit an NTE5e and a vDSL plate, that will almost definitely improve your signal.

The closer you can put the Sky router to the phone socket the better. Ethernet to a centrally place router would be best, either with a cable or homeplug network. You could also use a wireless extender instead of ethernet, but this may slow your system down. Sky do one which works pretty well - Sky Wireless Booster

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rave View Post
      Alright, I'll look into making a plan for that as I don't have an extension socket around here. Is it worth getting a new faceplate, I mean would that help in any way? Ours is extremely old.
      Yes, I would get a new Openreach Master socket fitted, available on eBay for around 6.50. Then wire your internal extension to its faceplate.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Sky
      Sky TV: SkyQ
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rave View Post

So from what I can gather from that, are you saying to have my Sky router as close to the telephone socket as possible, then run an ethernet cable from the router to another router in order to have that routers WiFi signal central?
      Yes, that was what my drunken ramble was to suggest.
      Oh wait, 6am on Hogmanay?
      I wasn't drunk, my sober and sleepless ramble.

It's how I have it setup and have had without issues for several years.
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky

Exchange:
      Thanks

Alright, much appreciated guys, I will work on getting that sorted out this weekend. I don't suppose any of you have a good router suggestion? Otherwise I'll head into good old PC World to grab a longer Ethernet and check out their routers after work tomorrow and then work on changing the plate during the next week!

Itisme, I was doing something similar to that with my laptop, by connecting my laptop wirelessly with the router and then creating a new hotspot on my laptop using netsh wlan set hostednetwork and having the other side of my house connect to the laptop, however I've grown uncomfortable with this as my laptop is getting old and ended up running quite hot and then there's the security issues, even though it was security protected. None the less, I will give that wireless booster a try should push come to shove since I wasn't having much trouble with that set-up, speed wise.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Just want to update you guys on the situation; everything was a success! I bought a Netgear router from PC World for 30 and reset my Sky router, then plugged a 20m ethernet cable (thought it was a 10m when I found it in the cupboard) into the WAN port and the Netgear router set everything up automatically. Everything seems connected nicely and I have a solid 5 bars in every room in the house! speeds now are:

As opposed to a 0.50 download and a non-existant upload with a noise margin so low it needed to be put on life support. Connected directly into the router I get around 8 download but that loss isn't to big an issue, it's just great to see something go right! I'll still see about changing the plate though, since why not eh?
      Scubbie likes this.