Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Thinking of Signing-up now changed mind - Advice?

This is a discussion on Thinking of Signing-up now changed mind - Advice? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Despite registering my interest some months ago - I was a little curious as to when the roll-out for the ...

Delboy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Wannabe
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Exclamation Thinking of Signing-up now changed mind - Advice?

Despite registering my interest some months ago - I was a little curious as to when the roll-out for the mid/max packages were going to start, so I rang $ky today to ask - to my amazement they said they had been fully operational in my area for the last 3 1/2 weeks for the mid/max with d/l's of 9mb!!!

Anyway I "signed-up" as far as needing to get a mac code from Orange but then stumbled on this great forum - needless to say it is clear that the cons are certainly outwaying the pro's at the moment and I have put the transfer on hold, expecting the usual sales banter and the "please stay" from the $ky people, the lady I spoke to was very accepting and suggesting that their current problems are too reminiscent of Talk Talk's recent shambles, which I thought was terrific PR!!! It was clear that there are a number of major problems that they are aware of and she even said that senior managers are now scouting a couple of well-known web forums for answers to the problems that it's customers are having!!!!!

Anyway, as a result I am more than happy to let the bugs/glitches settle down for the next few months with a view to changing over in the new year: but was wondering if anyone has established the situation regarding using your own router etc.. the lady at $ky said that despite it being contractualy written I would not be obliged to use the supplied router but could use my own - little confusing given that I thought it was contractually written but anyway she said the idea was that they could offer "techy" advice on one brand only without the confusion hence the condition in the contract (Contradictory if you ask me) - I had to laugh as they clearly aren't doing this is most cases!!

Has any managed to use their current set-ups - router etc?

Are any of your downloads IP blocked - ie Bittorrent - any restrictions?

Has the blocked sites issue been resolved in most cases? - ie https sites?

I was also wondering about the loss of uptime in most cases - is this getting better or worse - does anyone manage to secure a constant connection without it dropping out?

Wireless cards seem to be an issue also - has anyone managed to use a non-related wi-fi card to the Netgear supplied router or would I have to buy a new one, at present I have an Linksys card?

Another point - slightly off-topic - when you migrated over how did you ensure that you were able to alter your old email contacts to your new $ky email address without losing them - ie, banks, shopping sites etc.. I have been with Orange/Wanadoo/Freeserve since four or five years ago and would like to be able to check in to the old account every now and again in case there are messages that I didnt think to change over to a new $ky address - Orange told me once I migrate then I lose all my email accounts and couldnt get them back - is this the case or could I switch to a dial-up account with them - any advice on this particularily is greatly appreciated.

Look forward to your comments: Delboy

2. Advertisement
      SatDish is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Gravesend, NDGRA
      Broadband ISP: Virgin XXL 200
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Yes
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      this post might help about using your own router Can I Use my own Router with Sky Broadband?
      "To help would be a great adventure"

fixer2035 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Has any managed to use their current set-ups - router etc?
      I have DG834V2 which I have set up for testing then reverted back to the sky router as its the same with wireless!

Are any of your downloads IP blocked - ie Bittorrent - any restrictions?
      Has the blocked sites issue been resolved in most cases? - ie https sites?
      I was also wondering about the loss of uptime in most cases - is this getting better or worse - does anyone manage to secure a constant connection without it dropping out?
      I am on Connect and have not had 1 blocked IP or 'failed' web page. I have noticed a couple of router reconnects in the early hours but never when I have been using my connection, 6 days uptime at mo.

Wireless cards seem to be an issue also - has anyone managed to use a non-related wi-fi card to the Netgear supplied router or would I have to buy a new one, at present I have an Linksys card?
      Built in wireless on my Dell lappy works 100% with no issues

email............
      For the last 3 years I have used email thru a domain I have registered, you can either have it forwarded to your current ISP email or use an email service offered by the domain company. The main advantage with this is it does not matter which ISP you use as you keep your email address the same .
      have a look at
      http://www.1and1.co.uk/
      http://www.123-reg.co.uk/

lol I am still collecting emails from my Nildram email account I last used 2 years ago, even if most is spam
      I have sold my sold soul and joined SkyBroadband