Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Like Tree3Likes

Intellon Homeplugs not compatible with Sky hub?

This is a discussion on Intellon Homeplugs not compatible with Sky hub? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by mattan Have you tried connecting your laptop directly to one of the homeplugs, then running the power ...

eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Intellon Homeplugs not compatible with Sky hub?

Quote Originally Posted by mattan View Post
      Have you tried connecting your laptop directly to one of the homeplugs, then running the power packet utility?

I've had a few occasions where the PP utility doesn't find any homeplugs (via wi-fi), but then finds them again another day. I do think the hub is at fault, as whilst unrelated it also refuses to find my Sonos speakers on occasion. I have to go to the opposite end of the house, where my Netgear router is for it to find the speakers again! Then it works OK.
      I am trying to access the Homeplugs from my desktop PC which is already wired to the hub. I didn't even know they could be accessed wirelessly.

Apparently Homeplugs use a "second level" network protocol "0x88e1" and I am now thinking that the Sky Hub doesn't support this protocol whereas the old Sky Netgear DG834GT router must have done. The network works fine as the Hub is recognising my Sky+HD box, which is also seeing the Sky Hub when I check in Services. It is just the Homeplugs that connect them together do not apparently exist!!

Anyone know if or how the "0x88e1" protocol can be added to the Sky Hub so the Power Packet utility can be used with it?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I think the Plugs are just being treated like invisible switches. I have a secondary router on my network which is treated in the same way. Everything works through it and I can access it, its just not shown by the router. I don't think it is anything to worry about.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I think the Plugs are just being treated like invisible switches. I have a secondary router on my network which is treated in the same way. Everything works through it and I can access it, its just not shown by the router. I don't think it is anything to worry about.
      Yes, I agree, everything works fine for downloading on demand content etc. which is why I installed them. It would just be nice to have the Power Packet utility back so I can see the speed they are working at and also set new passwords if need be. It seems daft that the new Hub lacks the protocol of the earlier routers. I am sure I am not the only one using Homeplugs to network to a Sky+HD box.

mattan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSSWN
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

As Isitme said, they are largely invisible on the network. Connect directly in to one of them, if possible, and then try the power packet utility. It should pick up the local plug, plus any remote plugs.

Thanks

As Isitme said, they are largely invisible on the network. Connect directly in to one of them, if possible, and then try the power packet utility. It should pick up the local plug, plus any remote plugs.
      I am not quite sure what you mean. The PC is connected with a network cable to the Sky Hub which is connected with a network cable to the Homeplug. This is how the old Netgear router was connected and the Power Packet utility used to work. The PP utility does not see the Homeplugs at all when the old router is replaced with the new Sky Hub.

Thanks

For the purpose of a test, connect the PC directly to the plug, rather than the hub, then run the PP utility. It should also find the others on the network.

Thanks

For the purpose of a test, connect the PC directly to the plug, rather than the hub, then run the PP utility. It should also find the others on the network.
      Yes, this works, as I expected it would. Unfortunately it doesn't help as the sole purpose of the network is to link the Sky Hub with the Sky+HD box for downloading On Demand content. As soon as the Hub is reconnected, the PP utility returns "HomePlug Adapter NOT DETECTED" which proves that the Hub does not support the required protocol.

Does anyone know if it is possible to add the 0x88e1 protocol support to the Sky Hub SR102?

Thanks

The protocol in question is Homeplug AV (the 0x88e1 is the hex value of the EtherType that denotes the protocol being used). I have a SR101 rather than a SR102, but can generally use the PP tool with occasional issues. It might we worth re-installing the PP tool and see if that makes a difference, or look online for another version.

The only real use of the tool is to check the link speed between the plugs, so as long as the plugs connect and behave, it should be a seldom used tool?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mattan For This Useful Post:

eyemdee (03-01-15)

Thanks

BTW, which homeplugs are you using?

Thanks

The protocol in question is Homeplug AV (the 0x88e1 is the hex value of the EtherType that denotes the protocol being used). I have a SR101 rather than a SR102, but can generally use the PP tool with occasional issues. It might we worth re-installing the PP tool and see if that makes a difference, or look online for another version.

The only real use of the tool is to check the link speed between the plugs, so as long as the plugs connect and behave, it should be a seldom used tool?
      Yes, I have already tried uninstalling and reinstalling the utility but it made no difference.

The Homeplugs are labelled 200M PLC Passthrough Adapter and according to the manual with them have the Intellon INT6400 chipset. They work really well apart from the incompatibility of the utility with the SR102 hub.

I will have a look for another version online but I just feel that the HomePlug AV protocol is probably not supported in the Hub formware.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast