Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Belkin AC1200 Router issues.

This is a discussion on Belkin AC1200 Router issues. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Welcome all, from a Forum Noob I will start this all with an apology as I know a lot of ...

iainhskyuser is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Belkin N600
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Belkin AC1200 Router issues.

Welcome all, from a Forum Noob

I will start this all with an apology as I know a lot of you are sick of seeing this question in various guises, but I am genuinely stumped by this.

I have purchased a shiny new Belkin AC1200 Modem Router to replace my Belkin N600 as I have a new AC rated laptop coming, so want to benefit from the additional LAN bandwidth and need as much as I can get as I have 10 wireless devices hanging off the router. I had already managed to get the N600 activated using information on this forum (many thanks) and it has been running happily for a couple of years now. Suffice to say that the Sky supplied Sagem 2504N is still in its box unused from new.

Went to program the new router today to get it up and running, obtained my Sky username from the old router. Annoyingly, I can't find a way to get the password, so I went to the password calculator to get my password again. I entered my MAC from the username, after checking with the Sky router that it was correct, and entered the 8 character Wireless password from the back of the Sky router and wrote down the password that the calculator gave me. Entered it all into the router, saved, rebooted and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited.

I can't seem to get it to log on to Sky and can't for the life of me work out why. I am a little suspicious of the password that the calculator gave me as it is 15 characters long, and I am sure that I read somewhere that it should should be 10 alphanumeric characters in length. If this would appear to be OK though, am I missing a trick and is there something I am missing with this router? I am hoping that someone already has one of these active and can point me at something I have missed. I have programmed bucket loads of routers, albeit only a couple for Sky BB, so I am humbly suggesting that competence isn't an issue.

Hoping someone can help.

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Re: Belkin AC1200 Router issues.

OK, as an update to this, I have used routerpassview utility to grab the password from my existing router when open in an IE window and it is the same as the calculator gave me so it can't be the password that is the problem. Am I just not waiting long enough for the router to register on the Sky network. I would have thought that 15-20 minutes would be enough, but maybe I am being too impatient?

Thanks.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

There can be quite a delay when connecting a new router to a fibre line, but normally an ADSL connection is almost immediate. If you have selected PPPoA and have the correct password all that is needed in addition is the VPI which is 0 and the VCI 38. Many routers default to the USA VCI number which stops the connection, so make sure that is correct. The MTU should not matter that much, but it is probably better to start with 1500bytes. This can be adjusted after the connection is made, if necessary.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      There can be quite a delay when connecting a new router to a fibre line, but normally an ADSL connection is almost immediate. If you have selected PPPoA and have the correct password all that is needed in addition is the VPI which is 0 and the VCI 38. Many routers default to the USA VCI number which stops the connection, so make sure that is correct. The MTU should not matter that much, but it is probably better to start with 1500bytes. This can be adjusted after the connection is made, if necessary.

Well, I finally got it connected, but it only stays online for about 20-40 minutes and then drops the ISP connection, but the LAN stays up fine. A reboot will always bring it back online and then it will go again 20-40 minutes later. I have been online to Belkin for ages, which wasn't much help to be honest (trying to teach your grandmother how to suck eggs etc). They have finally agreed to a swapout as I can't get a refund on it. I am hoping that it is faulty as I actually want this router, but if a second one doesn't work and does the same it's going on eBay to the highest bidder and then find another one that will perform properly. So, the good old reliable N600 is back in for now.