Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sync speed is going down constantly

This is a discussion on Sync speed is going down constantly within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Evening, I have a bit of a 'problem' with my broadband which Sky seemingly don't want to help me with, ...

Binary is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Sync speed is going down constantly

Evening,

I have a bit of a 'problem' with my broadband which Sky seemingly don't want to help me with, any tips would be great

My estimated speeds are 9-16.4Mbps however given the location, sky equipment etc I can and have got 19000kbps sync. DLM ran ~26/04/14 and synced me at ~18900/1350 on 6dBm SNR and all was stable (even the SNR through the day) however since around that time the sync speed has slowly dropped every week or so and the SNR dips during the day and then rises again, this got to the point a week ago where I was synced at 14xxxkbps on 6dBm and Sky refused to help me in any way (CST and Tier 1) but wanted me to get examples.

Oddly the day after DLM kicked in and resynced me at ~17000kbps on 3dBM - which is great but proves its still not as good as it was on 6dBm. During this time i've had used the test socket and used 2 microfilters and a VDSL faceplate with no changes.

Any ideas how I can convince CST to actually investigate where this sync speed has gone? they wont help me until I have lost a total of 10Mbps...

Thanks
      Bugatti Veyron - One of the greatest engineering projects ever!

2. Advertisement
      tenar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newcastle NINE
      Broadband ISP: sky fibre max
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

Re: Sync speed is going down constantly

if dlm is dropping your sync speeds there is probably noise/interference somewhere

Binary is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tenar View Post
      if dlm is dropping your sync speeds there is probably noise/interference somewhere
      Thats what I'm thinking, however what actually happens is after a while 5.8dBm would become the standard instead of 6dBm. When I then initiate the reboot (could be days/weeks) it drops the sync - its like the system is oblivious.
      Bugatti Veyron - One of the greatest engineering projects ever!

Hedgehog1979 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01506
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HDw box X2
      Thanks

Sky have changed how their DLM works. They will start you off at the top available speed but if this is found to be unstable it will then reconfigure the line to find a speed that is stable.

If it has settled at this speed then Sky increasing it will more than likely mean DLM would just kick in and reduce it once more.

As mentioned there could be a technical reason behind it so I would check your internal wiring and set up. If you are connected to the master socket then try leaving it connected with nothing else plugged in. If you have a test socket then try connecting to that and see if DLM makes any improvements.

Being honest though if the speed has settled above your estimate you will have a hard time finding any one within Sky who would treat this as a fault.

[edit]Just read when your line went active so scrub what I have written above as the changes to DLM are recent. If it has suddenly started to drop speed then it would suggest noise on the line or maybe a line fault. The issue is still going to be getting someone within Sky to treat it as a fault.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD