Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Line switch to Sky

This is a discussion on Line switch to Sky within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Can you answer a few points. 1. Will a line switch to sky also kick start another 12 months for ...

B J
      B J is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Line switch to Sky

Can you answer a few points.

1. Will a line switch to sky also kick start another 12 months for my BB as well.

2. If i leave sky line rental after 12 months, will that stop me being able to keep my BB as a standalone service as i do now without sky rental.

3. A line switch to sky has no bearing on my TV side and does not kick start another 12 months contact.

Just not sure whether its worth the hassle, or to keep my BT line, going for advanced line rental again.

Need a push to move i think.
      His name was nut, Mr P Nut.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Line switch to Sky

1. Will a line switch to sky also kick start another 12 months for my BB as well.
      No, but once you switch to Sky Phone Rental, you will be transferred to the SVBN(Sky Voice and Broadband Network). When that happens no other broadband ISP can give you broadband. So in effect, taking Rental will tie you to another 12 months broadband.

2. If i leave sky line rental after 12 months, will that stop me being able to keep my BB as a standalone service as i do now without sky rental.
      If you start a new contract you will come under the new T & Cs which require you to have Sky Rental to qualify for broadband. So if you cancel your rental you will be cancelling your broadband at the same time.

3. A line switch to sky has no bearing on my TV side and does not kick start another 12 months contact.
      Unless you take a special offer for a discounted price for the TV when taking the rental, leaving Talk and broadband would have no effect on your TV contract.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

B J
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Ok thanks very helpful.

I am inclined to leave things as they are , not to many advantages really.

I phoned sky to see if they would do any deal, but got a knockback ----- oh well.

22 years with sky but getting more convinced this will be my last year with them.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Sky
      Sky TV: SkyQ
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by B J View Post
      Ok thanks very helpful.

I am inclined to leave things as they are , not to many advantages really.

I phoned sky to see if they would do any deal, but got a knockback ----- oh well.

22 years with sky but getting more convinced this will be my last year with them.
      You might get 12 months half price line rental to switch - this would put your broadband into a contract - many non-line rental customers have a "mailshot" on their accounts for this.

If you're looking for a "deal" the advisor needs to believe you will cancel on the call that day, even if you don't want to, really.
      You can always call back in the notice period to stop the cancel.

B J
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bubblegun View Post
      You might get 12 months half price line rental to switch - this would put your broadband into a contract - many non-line rental customers have a "mailshot" on their accounts for this.
      I have asked if they have a line switch offer/ reduction and was told no, and can they help with anything else today, i said no and goodbye.

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The thing that pee's me off with BT is the way they keep sticking there prices up and charging for things that used to be free! 3.50 extra a month for caller display and answer phone! That's 52 a year I wasn't paying before. At least Sky's caller display is free and only a 1 for answer phone "for now"

B J
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Koala5 View Post
      The thing that pee's me off with BT is the way they keep sticking there prices up and charging for things that used to be free! 3.50 extra a month for caller display and answer phone! That's 52 a year I wasn't paying before. At least Sky's caller display is free and only a 1 for answer phone "for now"
      The other thing though is sky have got rid of advanced line rental , i agree about BT now charging for used to be free things, just feel trapped whichever way i turn.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

It's an old policy which most firms have revewed from time to time and even councils do it as well.

Just consider car parking. It used to be the case that you could park your horse in the middle of the high street and tether it to the post for free whilst you did your shopping. Now you have to pay anything from 40p per hour up to 1 or more for 5 minutes.

Of course companies are going to look at where they are not making money. There are always going to be repercussions though and they need to be considered. They need to weigh up the potential loss of income against what they intend to achieve.

It could well be that they intend to reduce the number of parked cars in the high street, for example. The kick-back to introducing parking charges though is that the local shops might lose out to custom.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

B J
      Exchange:
      Thanks

My 12 months advanced line rental with BT is up on the 22nd dec, i have to give 30 days notice to leave BT, if i asked sky to take over the line in a day or 2 would that be ok , assuming sky contact BT before the 22nd that would be 30 days notice.

I know i would have to pay some charges for the months BT notice , does this seem the right way to do it? i have got things right for the procedure?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Please remember NOT to cancel your line rental with BT.

Simply call Sky and they should be able to arrange the rest.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast