Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By bubblegun

Mac code question

This is a discussion on Mac code question within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I am about about to switch to sky but can't get a mac code from talk talk. Over the last ...

rnmklvds is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Mac code question

I am about about to switch to sky but can't get a mac code from talk talk. Over the last week they keep saying their system is down and will not provide one.

At the moment I have broadband with Talk Talk (llu I think, 17mb) and pay BT for line rental. Talk Talk seem to be giving me the runaround.
      In my situation do I need a mac code to join sky (unlimited BB and talk package) or will it be a seamless transition without one.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Mac code question

Sky do not use MACs, these are only generated and used on BT lines. LLU providers such as Sky or TalkTalk etc cannot generate the codes so do not require them to enable their service. The only time you would need or receive a MAC code with Sky is if you were on the Connect package. You do not want to be on that package! If you are definitely getting Unlimited, go ahead and place your order, Sky will take care of the transfer. Be aware that you will also have to take phone rental with Sky as a condition of getting broadband.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Sky
      Sky TV: SkyQ
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Sky do not use MACs, these are only generated and used on BT lines. LLU providers such as Sky or TalkTalk etc cannot generate the codes so do not require them to enable their service. The only time you would need or receive a MAC code with Sky is if you were on the Connect package. You do not want to be on that package! If you are definitely getting Unlimited, go ahead and place your order, Sky will take care of the transfer. Be aware that you will also have to take phone rental with Sky as a condition of getting broadband.
      Almost true!
      Some customers still go onto WLR3 so will require a MAC but usually they go onto Sky Network (SVBN).
      Calling Sky they should be able to tell you.

Some exchanges still seem to have both SVBN and non-SVBN connections available so (I'd guess) if SVBN cards are full you will get put onto non-SVBN then get migrated later when someone else leaves.
      Last edited by bubblegun; 12-12-14 at 03:35 AM. Reason: my thoughts on SVBN/Non-SVBN migration
      Isitme likes this.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Just an update, Spoke to Sky on the phone, they said I need a mac code because my line rental is with BT. Now I am left still trying to get a mac code off talk talk.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I think you have been given wrong advice. If you are joining Sky you will have to take Sky rental, which means you would be on the SVBN which does not require a Mac. Unless you are one of the few still on the old, what were easynet connections exchanges.The exception would be if you are taking Connect, you may still be able to get that without rental and would need a MAC. Don't even consider Connect.

If you are on TalkTalk with an LLU connection, I don't think they will be able to give you a MAC.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I think you have been given wrong advice. If you are joining Sky you will have to take Sky rental, which means you would be on the SVBN which does not require a Mac. Unless you are one of the few still on the old, what were easynet connections exchanges.The exception would be if you are taking Connect, you may still be able to get that without rental and would need a MAC. Don't even consider Connect.

If you are on TalkTalk with an LLU connection, I don't think they will be able to give you a MAC.
      Yeah, it is strange, but the man on sky was adamant I would need a MAC. He actually used the term 'Shared unbundled' as my current situation and said without the mac I would be without a connection for over a week.