Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Can anyone recommend a 3rd party router,what are you using?? standard adsl+2

This is a discussion on Can anyone recommend a 3rd party router,what are you using?? standard adsl+2 within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I was an ex Be* customer switched over in march of this year,recently sky offered me free landline for a ...

mrcaw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: technicolor
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Can anyone recommend a 3rd party router,what are you using?? standard adsl+2

I was an ex Be* customer switched over in march of this year,recently sky offered me free landline for a year and bb cheap.

I am currently using the old Be* router a technicolor 582n which is an ok router but it doe warm start a lot.So sky are sending me a hub router out which I don't want to use really due to reading about issues with poor wifi etc and disconnecting over on the sky help forums.

Can anyone recommend a better router than the 2 above but not breaking the bank?one ive been looking at is the ASUS AC52u Its only cheap,not gigabit ethernet which doesn't bother me,but does have a faster wifi.

its here on dabs Asus RT-AC52u Dual-band AC750 router and 802.11ac USB adapter (RT-AC52u) - dabs.com

Would this be a an upgrade to the sky router?

Any other people using there own and can recommend a good stable one?

Just of topic,is there any reason why my connection would go up by nearly 3mb just switching landline to sky? line attenuation has dropped by 0.5 from 34db to 33.5?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Can anyone recommend a 3rd party router,what are you using?? standard adsl+2

The RT prefix indicates this is a standalone router, with no built in modem. To use it you would need a modem, or you would be restricted to piggy backing it on to the Sky hub, or your O2 router. To connect direct you need an ADSL router and you will not get a good one for anything like the price of the RT-AC52u. For a wireless AC ADSL router you are looking at a starting price of 60-70. I think in your place I would go for the RT-AC52u and piggy back it on to the hub using the guide here - Using the DLink DIR613. you will not do better at the price.

The reason your speed has gone up is that Sky use an up-to-date management system which gets the best out of the line.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Re: Can anyone recommend a 3rd party router,what are you using?? standard adsl+2

Thanks TomD,

Think I will look for an all in one. Glad I come on here as was told the Asus would work on sky ADSL on its own.

I'd prefer not to have 2 towers running.

R.E the DLM going on on my line at present, day one was great over 13mb, and it's slowly going down which I thought was odd as I've read it normally goes up.

I'm on day 4 now.

Can I ask,I seek have my be technicolor router plugged in, should I plug my sky hub in instead Whilst in dlm,I want the best speed on the line naturally, and I'm wondering if the sky router would give me that. Bearing in mind I'll have to disconnect it and cause a dropped line, which I believe sky's DLM will not look favourably on.

Current state are as follows.
      Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 1:10:51

DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1.313 / 11.656

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 539,14 / 1,99

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,1 / 19,1

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 16,8 / 33,5

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 3,6 / 6,1

System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----

Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / BDCM

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 62 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 7 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): -

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 849 / 37

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 13

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 1 / 0

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

R.E the DLM going on on my line at present, day one was great over 13mb, and it's slowly going down which I thought was odd as I've read it normally goes up.
      When DLM was first introduced it used to start low, no higher than 4 Mb. Now with Sky's latest DLM it starts at the highest speed possible then gradually reduces until the line finds it fastest stable speed.

You would be better plugging in the Sky hub as there is a good chance its chipset will be better matched to the exchange than your old router. One disconnect will not effect DLM, frequent disconnections will.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks, well tonight my DSL kept going down, I think there was a fault maybe in the area as it kept disconnecting then reconnecting then disconnecting straight away. Over and over. The line would stay up for about 30-60mins. Then happen again.

Disappointed as I assume this will cause problems for the DLM a fault being in the area. Sky told my I would stay on the O2 network before I re- joined, then i was switched to sky's.tech told me this many times,as soon as I signed they transferred me to sky's which I didn't want.

What a time to get a fault in the area during this DLM.