Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

apple tv 1 works wirelessly but not wired to a sky hub SR102??

This is a discussion on apple tv 1 works wirelessly but not wired to a sky hub SR102?? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello, my first message on the skyuser help boards so hoping some kind soul might be able to help solve ...

superfly7 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

apple tv 1 works wirelessly but not wired to a sky hub SR102??

Hello,

my first message on the skyuser help boards so hoping some kind soul might be able to help solve an odd problem. Ive been an o2 broadband customer for a while and migrated to sky when they bought o2 out. ive only just recently upgraded my router to a sky hub SR102 running firmware 2.1r.3727.R

previously i had an apple tv 1 attached to my old o2 router via ethernet and was able to access it from a wirelessly connected laptop. however, now that i have a new sky hub router, im finding that my laptop can't see the apple tv. when i log onto the sky hub, i can see the apple tv is connected wired, and if i control the apple tv with a remote control, i see that it is connected to the internet, but i definitely cannot access it via my laptop. strangely though, when i disconnect the ethernet cable between the apple tv 1 and the sky hub, so that the apple tv is connected to the internet and sky hub wirelessly now, i find my laptop can connect fine with the apple tv.

can anyone explain why this is the case and if there is a setting on the sky hub box i could adjust to enable a wired connection between the apple tv and the sky hub?

many thanks in advance.

2. Advertisement
      marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: HG612B + pfSense 2.4b
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb
      Thanks

Re: apple tv 1 works wirelessly but not wired to a sky hub SR102??

Might be a problem with having both the wireless and wired connections on at the same time on the apple tv.

What happens if you turn off the wireless connection on the apple tv?
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      To every rule there is an exception, and vice versa

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the response. As far as I can tell from my reading about the Apple TV, the wireless facility is automatically switched off when Ethernet is connected.

Thanks

What address are you typing in when you cannot connect?

Thanks

Let me expand on that.... if its an IP address like 192.x.x.x then it's unlikely to be the same one as allocated to the wifi address. If you know what the hard wired address is try pinging it from your laptop and see if that works. If that works, then flush the browser cache and try again.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,589 Posts

when i disconnect the ethernet cable between the apple tv 1 and the sky hub, so that the apple tv is connected to the internet and sky hub wirelessly now, i find my laptop can connect fine with the apple tv.

the wireless facility is automatically switched off when Ethernet is connected.
      I could be interpreting this wrongly but if the wireless function is disabled when you plug in the ethernet, that would seem to explain why you are not able to connect wirelessly to it. This seems to suggest there must be a setting in the ATV which allows it to act like a wireless extender. Have you checked to see if there is such a setting?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marjohn56 View Post
      Let me expand on that.... if its an IP address like 192.x.x.x then it's unlikely to be the same one as allocated to the wifi address. If you know what the hard wired address is try pinging it from your laptop and see if that works. If that works, then flush the browser cache and try again.
      I was connecting to the atv via iTunes which is set to automatically detect any atv in the vicinity. it can see and tries to connect when it's connected to the sky hub via Ethernet, but fails. As soon as I detach from the Ethernet cable it all works fine. In both situations I can see the atv is on the network because I can see that when I log onto the hub and look for connected devices. It feels like itunes has a problem connecting via the hub when it's wired vs wireless which I don't understand. Thanks again for your time btw.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I could be interpreting this wrongly but if the wireless function is disabled when you plug in the ethernet, that would seem to explain why you are not able to connect wirelessly to it. This seems to suggest there must be a setting in the ATV which allows it to act like a wireless extender. Have you checked to see if there is such a setting?
      the wireless function does disconnect when Ethernet wired, but the Ethernet wiring is back to the hub so it does appear on the network as in my previous post. I'm not 100% but I'm almost sure that the atv cannot work as an extended. I would add that the same set up with the same equipment worked wired or wireless when it was my old unreliable O2 hub!

Hope that s a bit clearer.