Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Same old same old!! Slow issues - but how do you convince Sky?

This is a discussion on Same old same old!! Slow issues - but how do you convince Sky? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; For a few months by connection has been getting slow and erratic. I am on ADSL2+ and have been getting ...

pdes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Arrington
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Same old same old!! Slow issues - but how do you convince Sky?

For a few months by connection has been getting slow and erratic. I am on ADSL2+ and have been getting around 5.5 Mb sync. Sometimes it would go to 6Mb and stay there for weeks. I can't give you my current SNR etc as my router doesn't provide this info. However, my previous router reported that my Sync speed had dropped to 5024. This may be due t the fact that I was changing and reconfiguring the network gear for a couple of weeks and Sky kit set the DLM low. Nevertheless, I am still getting wildly fluctuation download speeds as measured by Speedtest and others. Some of the time, it barely reaches .5mb. This is on wired and wireless connections.

I spoke to T1 at Sky earlier and all I got was "you have a speed of 5024 there fore there is nothing wrong at our end"! I have a call scheduled for later where they will test my local installation and I have to make sure all devices are disconnected. I have explained that this has been going on for weeks, that I have used various modems, routers and hi-spec PCs but this all seems to be irrelevant.

In short, how do I get my speed back? What could be happening if I have proved my infrastructure is OK but SKY insist that there is not a problem? Could this be a network congestion problem?

BTW, is there anyway I can monitor my line status if my router doesn't collect this data?

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Hedgehog1979 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01506
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HDw box X2
      Thanks

Re: Same old same old!! Slow issues - but how do you convince Sky?

What speed are you expected to get at the router? If it is 5024 kb/s or below then hopefully they won't focus to much on the physical set up.

It could be a through put issue which they can test by downloading a test file using a wired connection, they will also go though other steps just so they can put on their report that they have jumped through the hoops. Depending on how quick this downloads will give a more accurate answer than an average speed test. If it is a through put issue they then have to escalate this to CST who will then escalate it to the NOC for them to investigate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by pdes
      I can't give you my current SNR etc as my router doesn't provide this info.
      I'd always assumed that all routers provide a stats page.

Quote Originally Posted by pdes
      ...I have used various modems, routers...
      If possible, plug in one of these various other routers & post the stats reported by that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gymno View Post
      I'd always assumed that all routers provide a stats page.

If possible, plug in one of these various other routers & post the stats reported by that.

I thought that also but I decided to go for a new Netgear X4 router. This is just a router, not a DSL router so doesn't have the stats. Unfortunately, the modem I have had to use to convert the PPPoA to PPPoE has no stats so I am working blind.

I could plug another router in (and probably will) but have hesitated as I have performed so many disconnections lately, I think the DLM (or whatever it is called) has registered loads of errors and downgraded my service which has complicated the issue. I'll give it a couple of days to calm down then take a look.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog1979 View Post
      What speed are you expected to get at the router? If it is 5024 kb/s or below then hopefully they won't focus to much on the physical set up.

It could be a through put issue which they can test by downloading a test file using a wired connection, they will also go though other steps just so they can put on their report that they have jumped through the hoops. Depending on how quick this downloads will give a more accurate answer than an average speed test. If it is a through put issue they then have to escalate this to CST who will then escalate it to the NOC for them to investigate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
      Some months ago, I got hold of the L2 guys who were excellent. They told me that my line could support 6.1 Mb and that this would be put on file for future reference.

I have just spent a couple of hours talking to someone from Eastern Europe.I was promised a call at 7:00 but heard from no-one so called them myself at 8:00. As usual I had to start from scratch. The poor lady could not grasp what I was trying to explain, i.e. the history, technical setup etc. All she could get me to do was to plug the router into the incoming faceplate. Then the fun started. She had problems with her system and kept me hanging on for over and hour. ALl she told me was that my line could not support a higher speed. I just could't make her understand that it was intermittent and far slower than normal. Anyway, a modicum of success in that she has finally arranged for an engineer to call and that I will get a call from L2 (apparently) but to be honest, I don't have much confidence.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL2+ ~6Mb
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ & mini box
      Thanks

If you're getting a Sky Broadband engineer visit and you don't have a Sky router connected then aren't you just going to be told to buy a Sky router or to upgrade to Broadband Unlimited Pro where you can use non-Sky routers/modems?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bubblegun View Post
      If you're getting a Sky Broadband engineer visit and you don't have a Sky router connected then aren't you just going to be told to buy a Sky router or to upgrade to Broadband Unlimited Pro where you can use non-Sky routers/modems?
      Nope, They will only test to the incoming point. If it's an internal problem they hand it back to me. If it's a Sky Router, they hand it to Sky techies.