Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

WiFI Auto channel

This is a discussion on WiFI Auto channel within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have a Sky Hub, black version for fibre. SR102. With regards to the WiFi being on AUTO. Has anybody ...

rhyshardy2010 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kensal Green
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box

WiFI Auto channel

I have a Sky Hub, black version for fibre. SR102.

With regards to the WiFi being on AUTO. Has anybody actually observed in the real world the router changing the WiFi channel. My experience is that on bootup it will choose a channel and I believed it just stayed there. I have had my router manually set to channel 1, but I have just changed it back to AUTO and wondered if it will actually do anything.

On Auto, say it boots up on and connects on channel 1. If there is some interference on channel 1 will it switch channel to say 6. Or does that require a reboot?

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Near Portsmouth
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Re: WiFI Auto channel

I wasn't involved in the Beta group with the SR102, but I was with the SR101. Previously I had always manually set the WiFi channel myself but we were specifically asked to set it to auto during the test.

Yes I did notice that the channel started most often on Channel 1, but it did change a handful of times or so.

Generally speaking a router should only change the channel when there is a need. Most of the time the channels being used in any local area aren't going to change that often. Since the interference from non-WiFi devices tends to be the same for a period of time, once more this mean that the channel should change too often.

So yes, to answer your question, the router can and does change to one of the other channels if required. Whether it picks 1, 6, 11 or 13 depends on what it sees around it.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms