Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree2Likes
    • 1 Post By Isitme
    • 1 Post By FelixTCat

Sky Broadband Security

This is a discussion on Sky Broadband Security within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I am worried that someone has hacked into my PC and is able to monitor me.The reason for asking this ...

thomastt37 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky Broadband Security

I am worried that someone has hacked into my PC and is able to monitor me.The reason for asking this is that I use a Gmail account and during the last two weeks I can receive messages ok but cant reply to them,it wont let me type anything.So I am having to use my SK/Yahoo account to answer the message received on gmail.I wanted to resolve this with google and I found what I thought was an 0800 uk support number,however I was re directed to someone who purported to be in New York?but sounded like an Indian.Afer getting me to download a piece of software on my windows 7 pc called team viewer he was able to remotely take over my PC..he then tried to show me RUNDL registry files and told me that these were showing that someone was hacking my laptop.He told me that I would have to pay 130 pounds for a Microsoft trained techie to sort it out.At that point I told him that I wasnt interested and in any case couldnt afford it so he rang off.I rang Sky and asked them if it was possible for someone to hack my system,he advised me that unless they could find out my Router Password they couldn't do that.I am obviously concerned about Internet Banking etc..Has anyone else had this happen to them..and what is the best way to deal with it.?
      Michael

2. Advertisement
      Hedgehog1979 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01506
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HDw box X2
      Thanks

Re: Sky Broadband Security

They would not need your router password to take control or keep control of your PC. They would only need this if they wanted to use your wireless connecting using the wireless password or if they wanted to login to your router using the router login password.

If they have already taken control of your PC I would be very cautious. There are various different security programmes you can run to hopefully find if they have done anything that may have compromised your PC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I'm afraid you have fallen for what is commonly called 'scareware'. This gets on to your PC through opening a link in an email or clicking a link on a dodgy site. You should immediately uninstall the software they tricked you into installing. While it is on your machine there is still a chance they can hack into your PC. Unfortunately while they had control of your PC they probably installed other trojan type programs which may be reporting back all of your actions on the PC, so simply uninstalling the program is not going to get rid of all the nasties it may have brought. You should download and run the following programs asap, the free edition of these are sufficient for your purpose.
      https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/
      SUPERAntiSpyware - AntiAdware. AntiSpyware. AntiMalware.

Unfortunately no matter how many anti malware programs you run you can never be absolutely possitive that your machine is clean. Ultimately the best course of action is to save all your data to an external source, such as an external hard drive or a USB flash stick, then reinstall your OS. Usually there will be a back up partition on your PC which will allow you to format and reinstall from scratch, if you do not have the original installation disk.

When you are sure you have a clean machine, change all your important passwords, such as banking, paypal, email etc. There is no point in doing this until you are sure your PC is clean, unless you do it with an uncontaminated machine and do not use your contaminated one to access anything important.
      dnpark38 likes this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

dnpark38 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01274
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well I would remove the program you downloaded then I would run Malwarebytes.
      Download free version here Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - Protect, Detect & Remove Malware From Your PC

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi thanks for your advice ive installed malwarebites run it and it doesnt report any malware

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi No software actually installed on he hard drive,runs in Ram.Downloaded Malware bytes and no malware reported thanks for your imput michael

- - - Updated - - -

thanks for your help seems that it was just scareware and its been removed by malwarebites Michael

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I have found it is advisable also to run Superantispyware, as one of the programs may find something the other doesn't.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

FelixTCat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Tilehurst
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

TeamViewer itself isn't malware - it's excellent remote control software that I use every day both on my internal network and over the internet to help others. It's what else may have been done that would be the trouble.
      Scubbie likes this.