Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Looking to switch to a new router for Sky DSL

This is a discussion on Looking to switch to a new router for Sky DSL within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi All I'm new here so apologies if this has been discussed countless times already (and double apologies if this ...

supascoop is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01792
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Looking to switch to a new router for Sky DSL

Hi All

I'm new here so apologies if this has been discussed countless times already (and double apologies if this is in the wrong forum). I'm looking to switch my current Netgear V2 DG934G to a new router that runs on 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands.

I'm not the most technically gifted person here so please go easy on me!

Is there a modem / router that can do this? Is it difficult to get it set up for use with Sky BB? Would there be potential problems with gaming on the PS4 with a new router (I've read somewhere that ports may need to be opened)?

Any help would be very much appreciated

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: Looking to switch to a new router for Sky DSL

Welcome to the forum.

Basically there are a host of options for you at the present time as you are on the ADSL2+ based product (according to your profile).

Most ADSL2+ routers can now work, or at least should be able to. First take a look at your own router by logging in and seeing it is it connected via PPPoA or MER. If it say PPPoA then all is fine. MER may need a little extra work but is possible.

Type your router's address into your browser ( 192.168.0.1 ), click the 'Maintenance' heading, log in (default = Username - admin , Password - sky (note all in lowercase)). Whether you have PPPoA or MER are shown on that screen.

Sticking with PPPoA for the moment, literally any ADSL2+ router should be fine. You'll need to get the log in details which your Netgear router uses:

https://www.cm9.net/skypass/

Store the details in a text file by using Notepad.

Next check out the reviews for various routers and the technical specs and choose one which you consider that you can set up and use. As you are looking for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz support, this will reduce the number which you are looking at. Also give consideration to connection speeds and Ethernet speed too. As a minimum consider 300mbps over the WiFi and consider 1Gbit on the Ethernet LAN.

Read this if you are unsure about WiFi speeds: WiFi connection speeds

Once you have the router you'll need to configure it. This is important to get right, but most of the settings are quite easy and many won't need changing. Do set up the WiFi so that it is secure (WPA2 is best). You'll also need the following information:

Encapsulation: PPPoA
      VPI/VCI: 0/38
      Multiplexing: VC

You will also need to use the login details which the cm9 link above gave you.

The router's user guide should help you to set it all up. Most are now found on-line so take a look to see if you can follow them before getting a router.

If your connection say 'MER' then PPPoA might work, in most cases it does, but this needs checking. If it is the case that your line only supports MER then there are only a handful of routers which will work. We can give you this information if it is needed but most lines should now support PPPoA.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Hi Scubbie

Thanks for the very intuitive post, much appreciated!

I've checked the maintenance tab and it says "Network Type - PPoA" which would seem to be a good thing judging but what you've said above.

Is there a website people prefer in order to buy routers? To be honest I'm clueless in this aspect!

Also, I notice you yourself have got the Sky Fibre BB. Do any of the current Sky routers support 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz? I've been thinking about getting the Sky Fibre service.

**Edit** - Out of curiosity how can you tell I'm on the ADSL2+ product?

Thanks

Thanks

Sadly none of the current Sky routers work with the 5GHz band. The last three routers support WiFi n up to 144mbps, but that's it.

Certainly that TP-Link is one router to consider. Do look around for the best price though. Personally I would check sites such as Ebuyer, Amazon, eBay as well.

Do search for reviews as well.

Sorry if I am not saying "yes go for ABC router as it is the best" but there are too many with different good and bad points. Sit down and think what you need from a router and work from there. Examples of things to consider are Child protection, compatibility with VDSL, perhaps a "Guest WiFi Account".

THere are various threads on this forum about using VDSL routers on Sky Fibre. These are much more restrictive as Sky use a protocol which isn't too common.

Based on my own experience, I would advise against getting a router because it has a USB port. Sure they are useful, but not always very practical.

Since you are also stating that you are a little unfamiliar, talk to a friend or relative who may be able to help you set up the router.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

Thanks Scubbie

If I decided to switch to fibre in the future could I add some external device for wireless that would give me that 5Ghz option to the Sky Hub?

Thanks

There is an item called a "WiFi Extender".

WiFi Extenders come in a few different flavours, but from experience you might want to consider getting one which connects via an Ethernet cable to the router. Essentially this would offer the best connection speed for any items.

The alternative would be to connect it via WiFi to your router. This results in the overall performance being dramatically reduced.

Another choice would be to get a pair of HomePlugs or PowerLine adaptors with one offering a WiFi access point. Whilst HomePlugs are great for flexibility, they rely on your electrical wiring being of good quality. All too often the performance is fine for ADSL but tends to suffer when you are using it for a Fibre connection as most don't meet the potential 80/20 connection speeds.

Cat 5e Ethernet cable is capable of supporting up to 1Gbps Ethernet speeds for up to around 100m. Shielded cable will protect it from electrical interference if it is near any other wiring. Cat 6 cable can support up to 10Gbps but IMHO is a little OTT as there are currently not many suitable requirements for this kind of performance in the home environment.

Finchmeister is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I use Apple airport time capsule and airport express repeaters in my house the time capsule has a 2TB hdd in so my Mac constantly backs itself up, if you don't use Mac then look at the AirPort Extreme have a look on the Apple Store website have a look in the refurbished clearance bit to as all covered by Apple warranty all I did then was turn off wireless on my sky hub and pair upto the Apple

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Sky
      Sky TV: SkyQ
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by supascoop View Post
      Hi All

I'm new here so apologies if this has been discussed countless times already (and double apologies if this is in the wrong forum). I'm looking to switch my current Netgear V2 DG934G to a new router that runs on 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands.

I'm not the most technically gifted person here so please go easy on me!

Is there a modem / router that can do this? Is it difficult to get it set up for use with Sky BB? Would there be potential problems with gaming on the PS4 with a new router (I've read somewhere that ports may need to be opened)?

Any help would be very much appreciated

Thanks
      You don't really say in this or subsequent posts, but what are you trying to achieve by changing the router apart from dual band connectivity?
      Is it a range issue? or a wifi speed issue?
      What speed does your router sync at?...as if it's low then you won't see much benefit from better wifi speed.