Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

multiple SSID router

This is a discussion on multiple SSID router within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; i currently use a Netgear DGN2000 router because the 4 SSID's, its on its way out slowly, is there any ...

Kymru is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newtown (WNNN)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky SR101 Hub
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

multiple SSID router

i currently use a Netgear DGN2000 router because the 4 SSID's, its on its way out slowly, is there any other router that offers 4 or at least 2 seperate SSID's

reason i want two or more is for different encryption protocols per SSID

thanks

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,140 Times in 2,017 Posts

Re: multiple SSID router

I think that your best bet would be to look for a router with "Guest" accounts.

I have the WNDR3800 which offers such a feature, but only one guest account per band.

The result is that I can have any combination of up to 4 SSIDs with 2 on the 2.4GHz band or 5GHz band. Each can have a different password and/or name, but each has to be WPA2 for best security and speed for me. I don't use WEP as it reduces the WiFi speed now (change in Netgear's firmware) as well as making it vulnerable to hacking.

I have the following options:

• Enable Video Network (5GHz only)
      • Allow guest to access My Local Network (Guest only)
      • Enable Wireless Isolation (all)

There are newer routers from Netgear and other manufacturers which offer Guest accounts. I would suggest that you look at some of them and their respective manuals to see if they can offer what you are looking for.

Another option would be to consider using a WiFi Extender with a new router. I understand that the Wireless Isolation and ability to prevent someone accessing the LAN is also available with some of these.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms