Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

10239Kbps at Hub. 2005Kbps at wired PC.

This is a discussion on 10239Kbps at Hub. 2005Kbps at wired PC. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi everyone. There seems to be a massive discrepancy in the speed of the connection coming into my router and ...

Terrible is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

10239Kbps at Hub. 2005Kbps at wired PC.

Hi everyone.

There seems to be a massive discrepancy in the speed of the connection coming into my router and the speed that I'm getting on the desktop which is connected directly to the router.

It's been like this since the day I joined Sky (a couple of years ago now.)

Could anyone offer me some advice? I'm losing around 7Mbps between the router and the PC!

Router is Sky's Sagem F@ST2304, plugged into a microfilter which is plugged straight into the house's master socket. I run a separate wifi hub off the Sagem and a powerline device which provides a wired connection to my PC.

I have tested the speed with a laptop wired into the router and had no luck in getting faster speeds. Always floating around the 2Mb/s mark, never higher than 3Mb/s

Connection Speed 10239 kbps 1278 kbps
      Line Attenuation 31.0 dB 18.6 dB
      Noise Margin 9.5 dB 5.4 dB

Last edited by Terrible; 09-10-14 at 11:11 PM.

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: 10239Kbps at Hub. 2005Kbps at wired PC.

Hi Terrible,
      As this is your first post it requires moderator approval if it contains links and/or attachments. So that we can appreciate the full nature of your speed problem it would be better (for the time being) if you could post in plain text.

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: 10239Kbps at Hub. 2005Kbps at wired PC.

Apart from your low transfer speed, your sync speed is quite low. With your attenuation you should exp0ect 14Mb+. With a higher than necessary noise margin this suggest there is a problem with your line, which could cause a lot of errors slowing down your transfer speed. Can you please remove the faceplate on your master socket and plug the filter and router directly into the Test socket. Use on the ADSL cable supplied by Sky, do not use a telephone extension and repost your stats. You will not necessary see a speed increase although you may, what we are looking for is an increase in your noise margin.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.