Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Asus DSL-AC68U ADSL/VDSL

This is a discussion on Asus DSL-AC68U ADSL/VDSL within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; My Exchange has recently been enabled but not down to cabinet level as yet. Been looking to replace my DLINK ...

geezer466 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Asus DSL-AC68U ADSL/VDSL

My Exchange has recently been enabled but not down to cabinet level as yet.

Been looking to replace my DLINK bog standard sky router in preparation for fibre when I get it but also for the additional features such was faster wifi, vpn's guest networks ect which I really want now.

I would prefer the adsl/vdsl version as it does away with that one extra box. Whilst I can see there is plenty of advice in how to get this to work with fibre has anyone connected it to the bog standard ADSL2 connection.

Also want the option to switch ISP if I need to. Have had sky for nigh on 8 years at this address maybe it's time I gave BT or some other a go, whomever fires up their fibre option first....

Are there any specific challenges I need to overcome before embarking on this path? (I know how to extract the required info from the existing kit).

Many thanks for any insights.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: Asus DSL-AC68U ADSL/VDSL

You should be able to use the Asus DSL-AC68U on your ADSL2+ connection.

Once you have the log in details from your Sky router, you'll need to configure the Asus router to use them and set the ADSL settings correctly.

VPI/VCP = 0/38
      Multiplexor = VC Based
      MTU = 1500

Should you decide to upgrade to VDSL/FTTC and stay with Sky, I'd suggest reading one of the thrwads on getting this router to work with Sky Fibre. You may need the details from an SR102 though for this to work. Your profile doesn't say which Sky router you currently have.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      You should be able to use the Asus DSL-AC68U on your ADSL2+ connection.

Once you have the log in details from your Sky router, you'll need to configure the Asus router to use them and set the ADSL settings correctly.

VPI/VCP = 0/38
      Multiplexor = VC Based
      MTU = 1500

Should you decide to upgrade to VDSL/FTTC and stay with Sky, I'd suggest reading one of the thrwads on getting this router to work with Sky Fibre. You may need the details from an SR102 though for this to work. Your profile doesn't say which Sky router you currently have.
      Many thanks for the reply.

I have the DLINK DSL 2640. Originally had the white netgear which began to fail and (with a bit of work and a threat to cancel) managed to get sky to replace it 4 years into my contract and that was around 4 years ago.

From what I have gleaned on these pages not that many of these were issued.

I would imagine if I upgraded via SKY when the time came they would send me the SR102 anyway? I could then extract what I needed needed from that.

I am well versed in upgrading firmware in devices and would be looking to put an open source firmware on it in due course anyway. I am one of these 'phobes' who continually tries to improve the kit I have.

Ordered the Asus DSL-AC68U ADSL/VDSL today at a smidgen over 200.00 not cheap for a router particularly as we are mostly used to getting these things from the ISP FOC but technology moves on and if you want the extra features you have to pay for it.

Amazingly not many suppliers in the UK have the ADSL/VDSL version in stock.

One question if I may...

May router password is 15 alphanumeric characters followed by a space and then # is this last bit (space #) required? To answer this question for future reference the space and the # are NOT to be included in the password.

Kit arrived today and apart from a hickup with one of my access points all is looking good.
      Last edited by geezer466; 09-10-14 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Add Question

Simon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLWW
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: ASUS DSL-AC68U
      Sky TV: Youview
      Thanks

Hate to say you've not only paid too much (was 159.99 in PC World 2 weeks ago) but there are stability issues on the current firmware.
      -

Clothes may disguise a fool, but his voice will give him away...

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
      Hate to say you've not only paid too much (was 159.99 in PC World 2 weeks ago) but there are stability issues on the current firmware.
      This was the ADSL/VDSL Modem version not just the simple router (important to make the distinction) so the price 'was in the ballpark'. I do research these things although not many suppliers were carrying the adsl/vdsl version.

Yes had some mega issues with it. The firmware had some serious bugs the main one being losing the ability get to the settings gui on a regular basis. It just fell off requiring a complete factory reset and subsequent 'retune'.

In the three days I persisted with it it never held a connection over 12 hours.

All that said all hail to the sale of goods act and distance selling regulations.

As an aside I couldn't get my 2 access points, intempo radio or samsung wireless printer to work with it. It may have been me needing to do further research and port opening (specifically the radio) and as I was spending much of my time just keeping the bloody thing connected so never ventured too far.

One thing I was able to glean though was that Samsung Wireless printers can be very moody with all asus routers. Maybe worth noting peeps for future reference if you are considering getting an asus router.

Plenty of bells and whistles on this and it will work with sky adsl2, but very early doors yet. Not worth bothering with until they fix the obvious flaws with the firmware.