Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Line Attenuation and Intermittent Broadband

This is a discussion on Line Attenuation and Intermittent Broadband within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've been having awful Broadband problems since the 17th September where my Broadband has been intermittant. It initially seemed to ...

ZooMusicGirl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Line Attenuation and Intermittent Broadband

I've been having awful Broadband problems since the 17th September where my Broadband has been intermittant. It initially seemed to be because they'd raised my connection speed to 9.5MB and it was cutting out every few minutes constantly. They have lowered it to about 6.5MB. It now doesn't cut out as regularly but still happens. So for instance, Broadband was up yesterday 12pm - 7pm then it was off from 7pm - 2:30am and now it's been back on today from 2:30am, who knows for how long!

I have had two brand new routers, the BT socket replaced, all wires and microfilters replaced, both a Sky and BT engineer out who all seem to be at a loss to explain the situation.

My router statistics now look like this:

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 6355 kbps 885 kbps
      Line Attenuation 47.5 dB 29.9 dB
      Noise Margin 7.3 dB 8.8 dB

I am very close to the exchange, just over 1km away, one friend has suggested that my line attenuation is very high.

Does anyone have any sugestions / solutions / advice?

Many thanks,
      Vicki

2. Advertisement
      bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Sky
      Sky TV: SkyQ
      Thanks

Re: Line Attenuation and Intermittent Broadband

Quote Originally Posted by ZooMusicGirl View Post
      I've been having awful Broadband problems since the 17th September where my Broadband has been intermittant. It initially seemed to be because they'd raised my connection speed to 9.5MB and it was cutting out every few minutes constantly. They have lowered it to about 6.5MB. It now doesn't cut out as regularly but still happens. So for instance, Broadband was up yesterday 12pm - 7pm then it was off from 7pm - 2:30am and now it's been back on today from 2:30am, who knows for how long!

I have had two brand new routers, the BT socket replaced, all wires and microfilters replaced, both a Sky and BT engineer out who all seem to be at a loss to explain the situation.

My router statistics now look like this:

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 6355 kbps 885 kbps
      Line Attenuation 47.5 dB 29.9 dB
      Noise Margin 7.3 dB 8.8 dB

I am very close to the exchange, just over 1km away, one friend has suggested that my line attenuation is very high.

Does anyone have any sugestions / solutions / advice?

Many thanks,
      Vicki
      You're not 1km from the exchange in terms of line length based on those figures!

The speeds are okay for those figures.

I have Attenuation of 53dB, Noise Margin 6.0, Download 5742kbps.
      Your Upload looks a bit low. I have Attenuation 34.8dB, Noise Margin 6.6, Upload 1023mbps.

ZooMusicGirl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I am about three roads away from the Exchange. It is very close to where I live.
      I asked Sky to lower the connection speed. The connection was dropping out constantly when they raised it to 9.5mb recently.
      The connection still drops out since they lowered it but is more stable.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Can you post your full stats please, including the uptimes. Just copy and paste the panel to the post.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.