Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Trying to use TP Link TL-WR841N Ver 8.3

This is a discussion on Trying to use TP Link TL-WR841N Ver 8.3 within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I am having problems trying to use my own router and was looking for some help please. I recently ...

fraser116 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Trying to use TP Link TL-WR841N Ver 8.3

Hi,
      I am having problems trying to use my own router and was looking for some help please.

I recently moved from Virgin Media to Sky and have now got Sky Unlimited bb through my phone line. I was having problems with slow speeds and this was found to be due to the SR102 being connected to a poor extension lead. I have now had to move the router into my hall connected to the main telephone socket. My speed has increased and I am happy with this now. My problem is that where the router was originally installed I could connect my Sky TV, PS4, Android tv box through directly into the router rather than wirelessly. I would like to connect these all again and my thinking was to use my WR841N in my living room and then connect all my equipment to this. I have installed BT Extenders that would then allow me to connect the SR102 to my WR841N and then the equipment to the WR841N. I know that these are working as when I connect this to any of my equipment directly I am connected to the internet. I used Wireshark to get my username and password and have put these into the WR841N. I cannot find anywhere on the WR841N settings to change the VPI or VCI settings and I have a feeling that this may be why I cannot connect to the internet through this new router.

Am I well off the track here or am I nearly there? Any help is appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Trying to use TP Link TL-WR841N Ver 8.3

The WR841N is a cable router which will not connect directly to an ADSL line, you need a modem. You can connect it to the Sky Hub using one of these guides.
      Using the DLink DIR613. This allows you to create a separate network or-

How to connect two Routers together - using this method you connect to one of the ethernet ports.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

fraser116 (08-10-14)

fraser116 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Trying to use TP Link TL-WR841N Ver 8.3

Thanks a lot for that. I used the second method. Does exactly what I needed it to.