Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Like Tree1Likes

Unstable connection for gaming

This is a discussion on Unstable connection for gaming within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; The dial tone could be masking noise on your line dial 17070 and select 'quiet line test'....

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Unstable connection for gaming

The dial tone could be masking noise on your line dial 17070 and select 'quiet line test'.

2. Advertisement
      jay0906 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I've tried to explain to them that my connection is bad but they don't even know what packet loss is and say as long as you can browse it is fine. One guy was even getting aggressive towards me on the phone trying to prove I am wrong.

Also they sent the BTO engineer when my line was dropping out every few minutes during the day for two weeks straight. My Noise margin was going in to negative values but that issue has been resolved since the BTO engineer fitted a new NTE5 phone socket.

I did the line 17070 line test and it gave my correct phone number also it said there was some echo and very little noise if that helps.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Well I called up again and they said they have booked a BTO engineer to check for faults at the exchange and at the street cabinet. Fingers crossed!

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Yes fingers crossed jay0906.

I do know from experience that the test equipment bto use doesn't have a 100% detection rate, particularly if the fault is intermittent or subtle.

With this in mind & your stats looking ok (ish), i'd recommend setting up another bqm at least 24 hours before their arrival.
      Hopefully this will illustrate both the severity & how the issue is present 24/7 (if it is) & not related to usage.

Quick access to other examples such as heavy buffering or terrible Pingtest.net results may be a good idea too.
      Anything really which might help persuade further investigation in the event of a "computer says no" scenario.
      Including tea & biscuits.

Good luck.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Another thing that caught my attention just now is that my line attenuation is extremely high for how close I am to the local exchange. I used this sync calculator, ::. Kitz - Max speed calculator .:: and put in my line attenuation in and it said that I am roughly 2.8km from the exchange, when in reality I am only 1km from the exchange or 1.9km by road according to SkyUser - Sky Broadband Availability and Exchange Checker. So I am wondering why there is a 0.9km discrepancy(or 33%).Any thoughts?

Thanks

The route taken by telephone cables from your property to the exchange may not follow the shortest road distance.

Exchange:
      Thanks

So its normal for lines to be that much longer? I also read online that other people with the same issue had high resistance on their lines could this be a possiblity, as my line used to drop out constantly until they tweaked my noise margins. I wouldn't be suprised seeing as the wiring in my block of flats is atleast 35-40 years old. Also is it possible for them to transfer you to a different copper line?

Thanks

If your line attenuation is similar to that of others in your block then it will be due to line length as opposed to a high resistance line.
      Provided there are spare wires in the cables over some or all of the route between you and the exchange it would be possible to transfer your line to a different copper pair but Openreach would only agree to do this if they thought that there was a problem with your existing line.

Cables are pulled through ducts which carry a number of cables so that the route taken will feed more than one cabinet making the shortest distance overall not necessarily the shortest distance for any individual cable.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

According to SamKnows I am 1.6K from my exchange in a direct line, but according to a telephone engineer who has measured it my line is actually 3.2K. Double the straight line distance. Kitz's calculator says I should be 2.7K. Telephone cables take some weird and wonderful routes. Having aluminium cable in your supply line can increase the attenuation by a large amount. That may be part of your problem.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12