Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Moved from Vfone to Sky had my own ASUS N55U do I need to use Sky Modem?

This is a discussion on Moved from Vfone to Sky had my own ASUS N55U do I need to use Sky Modem? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have just switched from Vodafone Ire to Sky Ire BB . The Sky Router was delivered last week when ...

jamesy bob is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 35374
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: ASUS N55U
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Moved from Vfone to Sky had my own ASUS N55U do I need to use Sky Modem?

I have just switched from Vodafone Ire to Sky Ire BB. The Sky Router was delivered last week when I was away. I have not yet switched my Modem to the Sky one provided but I still appear to be connected to BB.

When I was with Vodafone I decided to buy my own Modem router an ASUS N55U and I never looked back. The modem has a very good wireless range and has worked perfectly for me so I would like to keep using it. I know Sky doesn't support it if I have problems and that's fine -- if I do have problems I will try using their one.

The question I have though is my broadband is working right at this moment using my ASUS - I have not plugged in the Sky router. I phoned sky technical support to check I had been switched and they confirmed I was switched to them last week. So do I need to do anything myself -my gear that is connected via wireless is still working etc. Is it that I am still connected to the Vodafone BB network or the setup I did when I bought the modem can handle the change.

I tried the Sky internet support and they told me they could not help other than to say I needed to get the Sky Broadband Password and here would be a good place to help get that info. Thanks in advance

2. Advertisement
      tenar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newcastle NINE
      Broadband ISP: sky fibre max
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

Re: Moved from Vfone to Sky had my own ASUS N55U do I need to use Sky Modem?

if you have switched over already nothing to worry about just looks like your router is being accepted but if its does stop check first with sky router for working connection if ok there is plenty of info in forum on how to transfer detail of sky router to your router

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tenar For This Useful Post:

jamesy bob (24-09-14)

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Welcome to the forum jamesy bob. I'm not sure whether there is the collective expertise here to answer your questions.

It is only recently that Sky have become a broadband and telephone service provider in Ireland. If you had been changing to Sky in the UK or NI then you would have had to change to the Sky Hub for your service to continue or at the very least enter new authentication details. However it is possible that in your area Sky purchase broadband and telephone services at wholesale rates from Eircom or another provider and sell them on to you in which case re-authenticating may not be required.

In the UK there are short codes for sales or faults similar to the operator number that provide a short recorded message which includes the name of the service provider before giving further options. If there are similar numbers in Ireland then at least you could easily confirm who your current telephone service provider is and hopefully your broadband too provided both services switched on the same day.

In network properties on your computer could you check the IP addresses of the DNS servers. If they are Sky's (90.207.238.97 & 90.207.238.99) it would also give a good indication that your broadband service is being supplied by Sky.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to seawright For This Useful Post:

jamesy bob (24-09-14)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you open a Command Prompt and type ipconfig /all you will see the DNS servers you are using, unless of course you have set these manually in your PC. Are you on Sky Unlimited or Sky Connect?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Hi Guys, thanks for your replies. I think you may be right guys in that it has recognized my router and that Sky does purchase it wholesale of Eircom. My DNS Server is 192.168.1.1 which I believe is standard across the country.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jamesy bob View Post
      My DNS Server is 192.168.1.1 which I believe is standard across the country.
      The IP address you quote is not routable. By that I mean a local IP address, probably that of your router. If it is also your PCs default route then my guess is your router is running dnsmasq which will answer DNS requests from its own cache only passing unknown names to your service providers DNS server.

If you have access to your routers web interface, log in and check if there are any settings for name server or DNS and if so what IP addresses they are set to.

Thanks

Ok Found the DNS - DNS

Thanks

I have just checked that IP address and that is actually owned by Vodafone

- - - Updated - - -

So now it seems I will have to plug in my sky box after all and create a new set up using that. Or is there some way I can keep using my Asus and just change the settings there?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

With ADSL it is quite easy to use your own router. Just obtain the username and password from your Hub, using Wireshark, put this into your router and apartfrom another couple of settings, that's it. Normally the VPI and VCI are 0/38 in the UK but RoI could be different, check this in the System Details of the Hub when you connect it to the Internet.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Guys, Thanks for all your advice and help. I Connected up to my sky Router and as suspected the Wireless range was not as good. I managed to switch back over to my Asus with Sky account settings after a couple of attempts and I'm happy again.

Thanks again guys for your help