Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

different speeds on Sky?

This is a discussion on different speeds on Sky? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; my neighbour is on Sky using an old dg900 series, and has a connection speed of around 21mbps. Im on ...

cypher007 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kirton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: SR102
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

different speeds on Sky?

my neighbour is on Sky using an old dg900 series, and has a connection speed of around 21mbps. Im on sky and have used my billion 7800n to try and go beyond 18mbps, using the snr tweak. no dice. does Sky cap some lines at different speeds? if so how do I get put on the same rate as my neighbour?

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: different speeds on Sky?

Sky does not cap the speed of their ADSL service. The DLM process will set your line to the highest stable speed possible. If you have recently replaced your router it may take a while to re-optimise your speed. Your line quality may differ from that of your neighbour. Broadband speed can also be effected by the quality of your internal telephone wiring.
      Could you post your router connection stats as these will give an indication as to whether your line could support a higher speed.
      Also if you have a test socket on your master socket could you plug your router directly into it and check whether it makes any difference to your stats?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to seawright For This Useful Post:

cypher007 (02-09-14)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If Seawright' suggestions do not help, just as a trial, could you ask your neighbour if you can borrow his router and see what speed it syncs at on your line. There is a small chance that your neighbour's router's chipset is better matched to the exchange than your Billion.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

my billion syncs at the same speed as the sky 102, but if I tweak the snr lower than 6.4db to say 5db my speed does not increase. this is different to when I was on BT, if I lowered my snr I went faster. what is the max on Sky anyway? I heard there was a different profile you could get put on for gaming which allowed higher speeds.

re the connections I have spent many ears at another address optimizing the speed there. I recently had bt put in a new master socket that comes direct off the same pole as my neighbour.

no other sockets just my router, Panasonic dect base, and adsl nation xf1e filter.

SNR Margin(Upstream) 9.0 dB
      SNR Margin(Downstream) 6.25 dB
      Line Attenuation(Upstream) 9.0 dB
      Line Attenuation(Downstream) 19 dB
      CRC Errors(Upstream) 0
      CRC Errors(Downstream) 0

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

It looks as if your line could support slightly higher speeds but as it is current operating within allowable levels I doubt whether normal optimisation will increase the speed, not in the short term anyway. DLM re-training could increase your speed by decreasing the downstream margin as low as 3dBs but it could creep up again within the training period if the error rate increased.

Afaik the gamers profile removes interleaving to improve ICMP ping times but this could actually reduce the download speed.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

With Sky DLM will set the line to its highest stable speed and no matter how much you tweak the SNR you will not go higher. Your line does look like it could carry a bit more with DLMs latest settings. Your best bet is to call Sky and ask them to run DLM training on your line as you have made wiring improvements since it was last run. As said a gaming profile would reduce your speed, not increase it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      With Sky DLM will set the line to its highest stable speed and no matter how much you tweak the SNR you will not go higher. Your line does look like it could carry a bit more with DLMs latest settings. Your best bet is to call Sky and ask them to run DLM training on your line as you have made wiring improvements since it was last run. As said a gaming profile would reduce your speed, not increase it.
      i didnt realise the sky dlm's worked differently. ill try and see if they will retrain. ive had the master socket replaced and now it connects direct to the line outside, not via about 2-3 joints internally.