Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Slow page loading times

This is a discussion on Slow page loading times within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, Since my line was activated on 5/2/2007, I've had to reboot my Sky Router at LEAST once every ...

h8ball is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wallsend
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Slow page loading times

Hi all,

Since my line was activated on 5/2/2007, I've had to reboot my Sky Router at LEAST once every day to cure the following common problems:-

1. EXTREME Internet access slow-downs, affecting IE/Firefox (web page loading timeouts) and MS Outlook 2000 (Email server authentication timeouts)! I've traced this to my actual upload/download speeds dropping to LESS than 1Kbyte/sec, which is EVEN SLOWER than 56K Dial-Up!

2. At least ONE random ISP connection drop-out at ANY time of every day, i.e. NO WAN-side IP address due to NOT being authenticated (logged in) on Sky's ISP Server! Router status then reads LCP Down and it can take anything from a few seconds to HOURS to RE-authenticate again.

In both cases, Router status shows sync speeds to my local BT Exchange remaining normal, and rebooting the Router cures the problem (at least until the next time it happens).

Sky Package Details:-
      > Package: Sky Broadband MAX

BT Exchange Details:-
      > Exchange: Wallsend, Tyne and Wear
      > LLU Enabled: Yes, up to 8Mb

Sky Router Status:-
      > Sync: Ranges 5200-6600 downstream, always 768 upstream
      > Line Attenuation: 51dB down (steady), 31.5dB up (steady)
      > SNR Margin: 7dB down (average), 14dB up (steady)

Sky Router WAN-Side Connection:-
      > IP Address: 90.197.x.x (DHCP-assigned, changes on every reboot)
      > Gateway: 87.87.248.209 (always the same)
      > DNS Server: 87.86.189.16 (always the same)

Some Useful Info:-
      > Gateway Hosting: Easynet (TRACERT shows Gateway IP is on domain .easynet.net)
      > DNS Hosting: Sky (NSLOOKUP shows that Sky are operating TWO DNS servers. Sky Router only shows ONE, but may be using both)
      > DNS Server 1: 87.86.189.16 cns1.sky.com
      > DNS Server 2: 87.86.189.17 cns2.sky.com

During a slow-down, I can't even PING the Gateway (first remote router outside my home) without random frequent packet timeouts! Sometimes only some of the packets are lost, other times ALL of them. Unpredictable packet loss is a classic symptom of network congestion!

At ALL times, average PING times to the Gateway are around 50ms, which seems excessively high for my average downstream/upstream sync of around 5600/768 Kbps! A consistent high PING to a LOCAL Gateway is another classic sign of network congestion, caused by over-subscription.

On my old ISP's 1Mb ADSL service (sync 1152/256 Kbps), my average PING to their Gateway was around 10ms because congestion was VERY low! The fact that PING's on Sky BB are FIVE TIMES SLOWER is easily explained by congestion caused by the rapid take-up of Sky's fast/cheap Broadband services.

Internet Slow-Downs

If the existing number of Sky DNS servers is insufficient to cope with congestion, floods of DNS Requests during peak times may be causing some DNS Requests to time out. This results in your web browser repeatedly resending them and ultimately timing out on loading web pages because it can't resolve the web site host name to its IP address!

Suggestion: Locate a free-for-use "Public" DNS Server and configure your Ethernet/Wireless adapter as follows:-

Preferred DNS Server: 192.168.0.1 (Sky DNS via Sky Router)
      Alternate DNS Server: x.x.x.x (Public DNS)

This way, every time the Preferred DNS (Sky) times out, the Alternate DNS (Public) will be used automatically. Public DNS resolution will be slow because it's the Alternate DNS and isn't used until AFTER the Preferred DNS has timed out. In this case, you might want to speed things up by SWAPPING Preferred and Alternate, so the Public DNS is used FIRST!

I've searched for Public DNS Servers and can't find any I can CONFIRM are UK-based. The only ones I found are 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 which are USA-based (New York). My PING times to them are around 124ms compared to Sky's 53ms. Better than nothing, though, when Sky DNS is timing out like mad!

Connection Drop-Outs

It's possible that Sky's network backbone or router network are overloaded due to congestion. Sky may have insufficient Gateway routers in place, or bottlenecks exist in their router network due to insufficient alternate routes or poorly thought out router metrics. Any of these factors could easily result in packets being dropped (lost) en-route between your Sky Router and the remote Sky ISP Server it's logged in to. The amount of congestion might explain why it often takes ages to log back in once the Sky Router has been rebooted.

As for random disconnections, they may be due to your Sky ISP Server employing some sort of "keep-alive" protocol. If so, it will send out regular "Are you still there?" requests to ALL Sky Routers logged in to it and listen for their replies of, "I'm still here". If the Server repeatedly gets NO reply from your Sky Router, it will assume you've switched it off and terminate the connection! Unfortunately, this kind of Request/Reply sequence is VERY vulnerable to packet loss en-route due to congestion. If the Server's request gets lost, your Sky Router never replies so the Server gets NO reply! On the other hand, if your Sky Router DOES receive the request OK but its reply gets lost, the Server STILL gets NO reply! Either way, if Request/Reply fails enough times in a row, the Server will end up terminating the connection!

It's very much like talking to someone over the phone. If they go silent, you naturally start repeating, "Are you still there?" and, if there's NO reply, you assume they're NO LONGER there and hang up!

Suggestion: Wait until the dust settles and Sky (hopefully) upgrade their systems to better cope with congestion?
      Last edited by h8ball; 12-02-07 at 12:50 AM.

2. Advertisement
      chrishodson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: melton mowbray
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Web pages have been slow to load ever since i have been on sky broadband regardless of my download speed. Having said that i am on max 16mb but the speed tests never give me over 1.2mb and my 10 day training period finished several days ago. a load of rubbish!!!
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 17-02-07 at 08:11 PM. Reason: please do not try to swear!

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Chris

There is no training period on MAX, there must be something else wrong. Perhaps start a new thread in the help forum with the problems and we will try to help.

I understand that you may be frustrated, however please do not try to circumvent the swear filter, this is a forum for all ages, and I have to explain to my kids, what the word is that is starred out.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

chrishodson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: melton mowbray
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Me again, i have noticed that although my download speed is constantly around 600kbps sometimes rising to 1.2mb my upload speed remains constant at 650kbps. So i almost always have a faster upload speed than download speed, surely this cant be right

fcardineau is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi,
      I subscribed to SKY max in december. Until 2 weeks ago everything worked properly. I changed nothing in my computer and for 2 weeks everything is slow. I use to get connected in High ID with emule, that is to say I mapped all the necessary ports, but for 2 weeks I can get a High ID connection. So to sumarize everything is slow , even download a simple picture.

Please find below everything I done:

- Reset router
      - Scan against virus and spyware
      - Test the line
      - A ping with my router is good
      - A ping with another computer of my network is bad
      - open all the port necessary to emule

please I don't know what can I do.

Any ideas

seank1983 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

i have slow page loading my exchange is at crawley nr gatwick and the first 3 parts of my ip are 192.168.0

Rogue_Pilot is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Polmont
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'm new to the forum - so be gentle with me.
      I've been online with Sky Connect (5) for over a month now and have become increasingly frustrated with both the slow page loading and the variable download speeds. Sometimes I get 3400kb/s other times I get as low as 144kb/s or 247kb/s! (I appreciate this is something for another thread.)
      Last night, however, I could connect and access my email but I couldn't load any pages. I contacted Sky by telephone and the problem has been referred to a Tier 3.
      My IP address is 192.168.x.x
      Any tips?
      Last edited by Rogue_Pilot; 22-02-07 at 02:48 PM.

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

You IP address is not 192.168, as that is your local LAN address. You Sky IP will start with 90.147...

I'm on Connect as well and it took a good few months for things to settle down for me. As an example it is only now that my router has managed to stay connected all the time and not disconnect itself every few days.

Rogue_Pilot is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Polmont
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Alan,
      Thanks for the reply. As I said I'm new to this. The other ADSL Port IP address is 90.197.xxx.xxx
      I hope it settles down soon, from your own experience you'll know how frustrating it gets when you have to keep rebooting the router....and that doesn't always solve things.
      Cheers.

h8ball is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wallsend
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hey, Rogue_Pilot

You're not alone! I've been on the MAX package since 5/2/07, and have had to reboot my router EVERY day because the Noise Margin drops below 6dB at around 5pm (start of peak usage period).

As for slow page accesses, I've noticed I'm often going through the following cycle:-

1. When surfing the web, do pages suddenly start timing out or SMALL embedded images in web pages start taking AGES to download?

2. Check my Sunbelt Kerio Firewall status. Is incoming speed normal (around 500Kb/sec)? Typically NO! It's LESS than 1Kb/sec (less than 1/500th normal speed), which is MUCH SLOWER than a 56K Modem!

3. Log into router. Is Noise Margin < 6dB? Typically YES! Reboot router and wait for it to resync and reconnect to Sky. Is Noise Margin now > 6dB? If NO, repeat this step until it IS!

4. Try surfing again. Sure enough, everything is back to normal speed again! Now repeat from 1.

I'm doing the above at LEAST once daily, and sometimes (in step 3) Noise Margin IS > 6dB but a reboot solves the slow-down anyway. And my 10 day "training period" is now over!

I NEVER had to do this with my old ISP. I was with them for over a year and had ZERO slow-downs or disconnections. I ONLY left them because their best offer was still 5 more than Sky's MAX package. I'm now regretting that decision, since I think my constant problems with Sky illustrate the old adage, "You get what you pay for."
      Last edited by h8ball; 22-02-07 at 11:22 PM.

Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)