Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Slow page loading times

This is a discussion on Slow page loading times within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello people, My internet connection, like many of yours, was running slowly and webpages were talking a MINIMUM of 100 ...

Miki is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Slow page loading times

Hello people,

My internet connection, like many of yours, was running slowly and webpages were talking a MINIMUM of 100 seconds to load (see: even the Google homepage was taking ages).

I've been trying to find my own fixes and here it what I've found so far;

In your Network Connections options for your Sky Broadband connection, you should have only these services: Client for Microsoft Networks, File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks, Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). Depending on your operating system and software, you may or may not have more services/protocols listed than me. However, I am using a basic setup from an external (USB) ethernet card to my Sky Router.

If using an ethernet card, click on the "General" tab then where it says the name of your ethernet card, click the "Configure" button next to that. Make sure your settings are as the following:

Flow Control = Disabled
      Flow Control Base Rx Size = Disabled
      Flow Control Base Tx Packets = Disabled
      Link Status Wakeup = Enabled
      Magic Packet = Enabled
      Media Type = AutoSense
      Select Media = AutoSense
      Test Mode = Mode2

NOTE: Those are my personal settings. Yours may vary, but I have found these to be optimal. Your settings will most likely vary from mine in some places aswell. Just alter what you can and/or what you feel comfortable with.

If all the above STILL dont work, I have another fix which I have personally tested AND it has worked with flying colours.

Remove all Sky Broadband software! Then go into your Network Connections and set your connection from your ethernet card to your Sky Router as the default connection. Restart, and if your pc is like mine, your web page viewing in Internet Explorer should be a lot faster.

Thank you for reading and remember, I have found all of the above fixes to work. However, I make no promise that they will work for you or your situation. I am obviously not responsible for any damages you do to your computer following the above steps. You choose to take my advice at your own free will.

Wishing you all the best luck,
      From Miki.

P.S. I have tryed these fixes with both a laptop using a wireless card and my desktop pc using ethernet. Both are now working fine!

2. Advertisement
      spiers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ecclesfield
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Slow page loading times

problem only started today.
      My sister complained earlier she could not get Firefox to work at all, now pages are taking forver to load, but sometimes when i refresh they load up instantly.
      About 5 minutes ago the IP kept being lost causing a connection failure.
      I was trying to get online (PS2) and it gave an error, due to no IP even though the PS2 has its own static IP address i have configured into the router.
      Once again this is the first day this has happened.

Exchange: Ecclesfield
      Package: Mid
      IP: 90.194.241.***

Thanks

****************EDIT***********
      Just been trying to get a stable connection for 5 minutes, when trying to repair the LAN is says
      "the following blah blah"
      Renewing the IP address, so it cant renew it basically.
      Ive just rebooted the router, seems to be ok for the moment...
      Last edited by spiers; 22-05-07 at 11:29 PM.

BryanW is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

My problems are very similar to Sony007 on page 10. I'm not able to open certain pages, but others will. Whenever it happens, i can always open ask.com, but can never open google.co.uk or ebay.co.uk. The only solution is to go and poke a pen into the reset button and wait a couple of mins. This problem regularly occurs over the last few weeks, prior to that i had 2 months of problem free with sky bb. My router stats are

Connection Speed 8128 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 4.0 db 5.0 db
      Noise Margin 14.8 db 22.0 db

my IP address is 90.198.128.xxx
      package: connect
      exchange: Sowerby Bridge

randomspam is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woolwich
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi,

I was trying to find some kind of service status from Sky but found this site instead, do Sky even have one? I've had sky for 3 months now, the 1st 2 weeks were terrible but then it's been rock solid since then until this weekend. We started experiencing exactly the same problems being reported in this thread. I can run a constant ping to any webpage and i never lose the connection, my email works perfectly, downloads are quick HOWEVER browsing has become abysmal! Big sites like Google, Ask, Microsoft come up everytime but ebay is impossible to get to and pretty much anything else for that matter. Router rebooting has no effect for me. I'm on the Woolwich Exchange.

Connection Speed 5664 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 52.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 7.1 db 13.0 db

Infuriating indeed, is it worth reporting it to Sky or will they just ask me to do loads of basic stuff like try other browsers and reboot my laptop?

Cheers
      Rs

randomspam is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woolwich
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I had figured it was a problem with their DNS servers myself and was looking for a reputable alternative server. 5 mins after I posted previously I went back a page and found h8ball's fantastic post. I popped the open DNS IPs in and it's been working perfectly all afternoon.

Thanks very much h8ball

eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimlad60 View Post
      Hi Satdish

I also have been getting slow page loading, it as been noticable slower for the past week. My downloads are also slower.
      My connection keeps droping and the only way to rectify this is to reboot my router and refresh it.
      I called tech support 3 times and e-maild them. they gave me number of things to try and in the end gave me a ticket No and told me someone would contact me in the next 5 days to test my line.

exchange Mansfield
      Package Max
      IP 90.194.202.xxx
      Same exchange, same problem with broadband almost unusable around 10pm every night. Max package speed tested once at 38kbps! Rang tech support last Tuesday night who told me to reboot everything, refreshed, gave me ticket number to Tier 3 but since then all has been fine and dandy. I don't know what she did but she did something!

exchange Mansfield
      IP 90.196.44.*

fuzzypeg is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01264
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Angry Re: Slow page loading times

My page loading time is around 2 minutes a page, sometimes longer.This has been going on for 2 days now and I'm getting very My dial up I had with AOL years ago was faster than this is. What's going on? I've had enough, phoning Sky tomorrow and turning my computer off now, before I smash it with a baseball bat.

lidad66 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

mine is also tyerrible at tim,es for web pages u torrent isnt ba bvut web is unusable at times
      castleford exchange

claridge is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yes, I also have the slow loading problem. I'm 90.200.36.*

greengiant302 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 07896-866852
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Verry slow, a Firefox plug in told me it took 65seconds just to load up this Reply to Thread when it would have been 1second about a months ago...

Package: *Unknown* (My Dad gets free broadband for being an engineer for sky :S maybe you will now what that package is)

Exchange: Launceston

IP: 90.203.89.***
      Last edited by greengiant302; 13-06-07 at 01:21 PM.

Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)