Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

As low as it gets

This is a discussion on As low as it gets within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Just having a look at my router stats and i was surprised by the upstream noise margin,is this normal or ...

carpy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01474
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

As low as it gets

Just having a look at my router stats and i was surprised by the upstream noise margin,is this normal or do i have a gremlin in the system somewhere

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collision Pkts Tx b/s Rx b/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 6652328 8466017 0 26616 119408 213:52:38
      LAN Down 0 0 0 0 0 00:00:00
      WLAN Up 9359349 7529577 99 0 5917 213:53:43
      Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2819 kbps 962 kbps
      Line Attenuation 61.0 dB 38.1 dB
      Noise Margin 6.5 dB 0.0 dB

2. Advertisement
      mattan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSSWN
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks

Re: As low as it gets

The noise margin can fluctuate. It's not 'normal', but if the line is stable, then I wouldn't worry too much.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you reboot you will find the noise margin goes up, but your speed will come down. As said, if you are not having problems don't worry too much, just leave things as they are.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks guys,i didn't need to reboot as it did it itself at 2am this morning so i guess it sensed something wasn't right

Thanks

The router should boot automatically if the noise margin falls into a negative value, which probably happened with yours.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks for the info, i think the recent wet spell may have had an effect as my upstream margin always goes up when we have had a lot of rain,the hole in the ground with lots of connectors etc in it always fills with water and a neighbor has taken to lifting the cover after rain and bailing it out with a large tin can,my up margin has gone to 6.8 which is normal after rain so i wonder if this is affecting the down margin as well,it will be a godsend when our fttc is enabled,which is forecast to be by sept

joe pineapples is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLBAL. (Balby)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carpy View Post
      Thanks for the info, i think the recent wet spell may have had an effect as my upstream margin always goes up when we have had a lot of rain,the hole in the ground with lots of connectors etc in it always fills with water and a neighbor has taken to lifting the cover after rain and bailing it out with a large tin can,my up margin has gone to 6.8 which is normal after rain so i wonder if this is affecting the down margin as well,it will be a godsend when our fttc is enabled,which is forecast to be by sept
      Who needs a third world country when we have Great Britain. On a serious note, I'm suprised no-one at your end hasn't been in touch with the telecoms operator(?).

Thanks

Your helpful neighbour may be leaving himself open to charges from BTO. Only BTO personnel or their contractors have the right to open manholes, if anything should go wrong in the manhole he may be presented with a bill for repairs. In addition if anyone should fall down the manhole while he has it open and not protected he could be sued. Better you report this to BTO and let them fix it.

It would not matter much if you were on FTTC as the copper wires from your house are still used to connect to the fibre cabinet.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

We wish BTO would fix the problem, it has been reported by most households in the road but the reply from BTO is that as FTTC is coming soon ( 3 years late already ) they will not repair underground cables due to cost

the fibre is already installed and the new cab is in place,the engineers who were pulling the new cable through said that the new cab is all connected to the exchange and just needs connecting to the copper cab which strangely enough is on the other side of the road,BTO have said that the latest delay is caused by the need to work on land owned by network Rail

i should be ok when it is up and running as the new cab is about 80 metres past my house and the other side of the water logged hole so i will only have about 100 metres in total which is the total distance from the fibre cab to the copper cab and then the pole ( right by the cab ) to my house, BT told me i can expect to get the full 40/20 but time will tell.