Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Like Tree3Likes

After the thunder & lightning today :(

This is a discussion on After the thunder & lightning today :( within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Routerstats was playing up last night, but I also decided to give the oild laptop a rest so no overnight ...

joe pineapples is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLBAL. (Balby)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

Re: After the thunder & lightning today :(

Routerstats was playing up last night, but I also decided to give the oild laptop a rest so no overnight recording. What did suprise me was the router has stayed connected, though is currently sat at 2.6db. If the pattern is the same of old, it will follow the same lack of recovery and gradually over a period of days keep dropping (though the effect will be less, so take longer) until it disconnects and resyncs.

Update

5:00pm and still at 2.6db
      Last edited by joe pineapples; 07-08-14 at 05:59 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

10:41pm and she'll no take much more Captain....0.4db.

Really need to get to the bottom of this cycle of not recovering and dropping lower and lower until disconnect then resync. I hope the Sky bloke I'll speak to next Monday can offer some help or pass me up to someone who can.

Thanks

Really expected it losing connection in the night but no. I wonder how low it did it get (now 1.4)

After the thunder & lightning today :(-lowish.jpg

Thanks

The chap from Sky phoned me back this morning as promised. I mentioned about the noise margin never recovering to its daytime figure but 'he' seemed ok with that as long as I've not been getting regular disconnections, which I haven't. I did (very politely) ask if I could speak to the next level up, but he said he was as high a support as it got (hmmm). To be honest I have been very grateful for what he has done so I left it at that and thanked him again for his help.

I have noticed that the upload noise margin is normally 4.4, but can suddenly jump to 5.5 and back down again a few seconds later. I wonder if this is an indication of anything odd happening as well.

*edit* seems to have settled at 5.5 for now.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

I've seen a lot of hub stats for ADSL connections where the decimal point always mirrors the whole for upstream noise margin.

So 3.3db, 4.4db, 5.5db etc.
      It's just a quirk of the hubs that they report it that way.

In reality, the noise margin is most likely fluctuating between 4.9db & 5.0db which is normal.

In a way, it's a shame your downstream margin hasn't been dropping that little bit lower & causing disconnections as this would have forced sky to take action.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to gymno For This Useful Post:

joe pineapples (11-08-14)

Thanks

Update on this. Shortly after this thread, my line was capped again by dlm at the earlier figure of 8191 so I admitted defeat and left it at that. The variable line noise issue remained but at least my connection stayed solid, even though it now seemed to stay at around 3db, even during the day.

Now a few weeks ago I checked the router stats, and though it was/is still capped, the snr was at a more healthy 6.6db. So I did a few 24-48hr monitoring tests and got the following (WAN uptime was about 650hrs)

After the thunder & lightning today :(-noisemargin-2014dec29-1739.jpgAfter the thunder & lightning today :(-noisemargin-2014dec30-0139.jpgAfter the thunder & lightning today :(-noisemargin-2014dec30-0939.jpg

So for at least the past 2 weeks, that is what's happening. I haven't changed anything at my end so maybe something has been fixed further down the line.

I did the monitoring using my spare laptop and at the end of it, was accidentally shut down before quitting routerstats (lite), and as a result the router thought the laptop was still logged in, keeping me from logging in with my main pc. Last resort was to reboot the router, which sorted it, and now this is the figure I currently have.

After the thunder & lightning today :(-rebooted-manually.jpg

I'll keep an eye on that for a few days, but even if it eventually stabilises at around 6db again, I'm wondering if it will now be time to ask if I can be placed on a 3db profile, or just how I/they go about doing this, if my exchange(?) supports it.

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I'll keep an eye on that for a few days, but even if it eventually stabilises at around 6db again, I'm wondering if it will now be time to ask if I can be placed on a 3db profile, or just how I/they go about doing this, if my exchange(?) supports it.
      As it is now even a 6db margin would give you a good bit more speed. You could give Sky a call and ask them to reprofile your line as it has been improved.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      As it is now even a 6db margin would give you a good bit more speed. You could give Sky a call and ask them to reprofile your line as it has been improved.
      Would it automatically be put or tried on a 3db profile, or what decides that?.

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If DLM training is rerun it will try a 3db profile and increase it if the line was not stable enough.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

joe pineapples (30-12-14)

Thanks

Spoke to 1st line support today and she's apparently sent her manager an email to get him to do something, as apparently the underlings no longer have access to that level of control. Guess I'll find out in a few days if the DLM switch was invoked (by whatever means they use), or if I was just fobbed off. Will be checking if any reset occurred in the night.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast