Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Like Tree3Likes

After the thunder & lightning today :(

This is a discussion on After the thunder & lightning today :( within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Setting a target noise margin of 3db would certainly squeeze out an extra meg or two. The problem with that ...

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: After the thunder & lightning today :(

Setting a target noise margin of 3db would certainly squeeze out an extra meg or two.
      The problem with that on your line in particular is the variable level of noise it suffers.

If when set at 6db you often see it go as low as 3db, that's a 3db swing.
      If it's already at 3, that could result in lots of errors & ultimately dropouts.

It does seem like you got one of the good guys on the phone last time, so if they do follow this up as promised maybe he will look into that.
      Especially if he knows about line attenuation.
      As stated, 10Mbps would be the norm to expect from a 39db line which means there will be some customers out there with 12Mbps, maybe more.

2. Advertisement
      joe pineapples is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLBAL. (Balby)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

Yeah, I'd really like them to get to the bottom of the problem. Not so much for my current connection (though 9500-10000 would be welcome), but also for if I decide to go fibre in the future. My line is a fair distance from my fibre cabinet, which I'm thinking could maybe make the connection suffer again from whatever the cause is right now.

Thanks

Logged in this morning and my connection appears as though it reset about the right time for line training to have done it last night. Stats were identical though so I decided to reboot it myself and start monitoring the line with the routerstats lite app (hopefully line training had finished). It has now resync'd at 89xx down and 6.1db snr, so will see what behaviour turns up in the next 3-4 days. I'll make a note of anything I switch on and the time.

Thanks

Does anyone know the difference with the options 'capture' and 'capture now' ? (routerstats lite). And do I just 'save as' when Ive decided its had a long enough run?.

thanks

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you have set it up properly you should have a dedicated folder which will hold the Log and captured images. ' Capture' starts the graph running and 'Capture now' copies the existing graph to the File you have designated.
      I find it best to use the Graphs tab on the Setup tab and set the capture interval to 60 seconds with 480 points per page. This gives you 3 graphs for each 24 hour period.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If you have set it up properly you should have a dedicated folder which will hold the Log and captured images. ' Capture' starts the graph running and 'Capture now' copies the existing graph to the File you have designated.
      I find it best to use the Graphs tab on the Setup tab and set the capture interval to 60 seconds with 480 points per page. This gives you 3 graphs for each 24 hour period.
      Thanks. I've checked the 'capture' folder and have several grabs in there, though I'd left it on default settings (without knowing) so its pretty spread out.

Decided to start again with those settings you recommend. Rebooted router and now sync'd at 9089 with 6.1db. Btw, got the mysky message saying the line training completed on the 3/8, and is set to 'upto' 9.2.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I'd left it on default settings (without knowing) so its pretty spread out.
      Yes the default settings capture every 10 seconds with much fewer points so it produces a mass of graphs and log entries.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Well had it running for 24hrs now (rebooting first) and it doesn't look good.

After the thunder & lightning today :(-noisemargin-2014aug06-0033.jpgAfter the thunder & lightning today :(-noisemargin-2014aug06-0833.jpgAfter the thunder & lightning today :(-noisemargin-2014aug06-1633.jpg

Just for reference, had I rebooted it first thing yesterday morning, it would have maintained around 6.0db till the evening (or has done previously). So not only does it go very low, but also fails to recover back to the initial margin.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Strange that it hasn't recovered.

What do your router stats report right now at 5:50pm?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gymno View Post
      Strange that it hasn't recovered.

What do your router stats report right now at 5:50pm?
      Same as now, about 2.9-3.0

Been digging around and found someone who had a similar behaviour http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/dsl...ping.html?vc=1

He apparently cured it by disabling 'bitswapping'.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast