Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky broadband unlimited is slow, please help!

This is a discussion on Sky broadband unlimited is slow, please help! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, so for about nearly 2 years our internet has been incredibly slow. Just recently it has become much worse. ...

gemgemchan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EALAI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear DGND3700v2
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky broadband unlimited is slow, please help!

Hi, so for about nearly 2 years our internet has been incredibly slow. Just recently it has become much worse. Before we used to get a download speed of about 1mb. But now we get about 0.48mbps

So basically our internet is slow and it also has problems connecting to devices which are far away.

Ive looked into what could be causing the problem and found out that it should be our phone line which is making the internet so slow. Whenever the internet is on and the phone rings there will be a loud noisy sound coming from the phone. So for about 2 years whenever the phone rang we would have to turn the internet off to answer it TwT

I have tried changing the adsl and the microfilters but it makes no difference.

I also tried plugging the internet and phone into the master socket downstairs and test it that way. The phone line becomes clear when I use the master socket, however the speed is still slow. I did a speed test when we used the master socket and the speed test results was~

Ping 150
      download 0.62mbps
      upload 0.76mbps

I have done a test for around my area and it told me that standard broadband users in my area should get between 6mb-11mb
      I did a broadband speed checker for my local area but the sites not working properly so I cant tell.

My ISP is bb.sky.com

So what should I do now. I contacted sky via email and they gave me links to forums that might help. The fact that there is noise from our phone line would that be our phone line provider issue? So BT (our phone is with BT but internet and tv is with sky) But the line is clear when using the master socket... and the speed is terrible still. We only have one phone in the house.

Now I dont know what to do. If I should ring up sky or should I ring up BT...

I did a BT phone line check and they say "We cannot detect a problem with this line. It maybe caused by a faulty phone or equipment."

I looked into ways to try and get around this and sky fibre they can install this and it should give you good speeds right? But if I got sky fibre would the sky engineer come and fix a new line in for us?

The devices which uses the internet the most are all upstairs. My pc is the main one. The router is actually in my room with my pc.
      But there are days where more than one person wants to use the internet (someone wants to use the pc, sister wants to use her ipad, brother wants to use game console) so there's 4 of us trying to use the internet but it just becomes so slow and has problems loading videos, websites, download or installing programs. Playing games on pc.

So I wonder if sky fibre will also help us with that issue as well...

Any help would be great. I dont know a lot about internet related things so if I missed out on something please send a reply and hopefully I can find out the important info

2. Advertisement
      dnpark38 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01274
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sky broadband unlimited is slow, please help!

You say ok when using master socket so to me means something wrong in your house.
      Also you say router is in your room, upstairs?
      For a start I thought routers had to be next to the master socket with a very short cable supplied with the router, so I think you should start by doing that as I would want to get rid of the extension lead you will have to your room. Your Pc then to connect via a Cat 5 cable.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dnpark38 View Post
      You say ok when using master socket so to me means something wrong in your house.
      Also you say router is in your room, upstairs?
      For a start I thought routers had to be next to the master socket with a very short cable supplied with the router, so I think you should start by doing that as I would want to get rid of the extension lead you will have to your room. Your Pc then to connect via a Cat 5 cable.
      yeah! I think that there is some faulty with maybe the equipment upstairs but I dont know how to check what is wrong. Like is it a wire or maybe the socket upstairs.

Yes my dad had bought an extension lead so it could go into my room with the pc (I didnt have any wireless equipment at the time) So if I got a Cat 5 cable will that work with fibre as well do you think?

Even when we did the speed test though and we put the router downstairs using the master socket speeds were still slow
      Ping 150
      download 0.62mbps
      upload 0.76mbps

So I dont understand why is it still slow even though we are using the master socket, the line is clear... so I dont understand.

tenar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newcastle NINE
      Broadband ISP: sky fibre max
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

your line speed will be lower by DLM (dynamic line management) tool so even when you change setup you will not see an increase in speed , dlm will eventually kick after a period of time if line reads better and is stable but best to change setup then call sky support saying what has happened this can be raised to either have dlm reactivated by lvl 1 agent if they cant do this then is passed up to cst

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Maybe if you post your stats from your normal position and then from the Test socket, we can advise further. Use only the ADSL cable and filter supplied by Sky to connect to the Test socket. Do not use a trailing telephone cable.

How to get your Sky Router statistics

How to test your ADSL in the Master Test Socket

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Sorry haven't replied. I have been in contact with sky.

On Tuesday I phoned sky and talked to a technician guy. He went through everything I did already (check micro-filters and making sure router is plugged into master socket). They did a long running line test and today I rang them back to see how things were.
      Another technical guy said that we were getting about 3mb (but we are getting 0.08mb when I checked today, I cant load pages at home thus why such a long time since I replied here) the sky helper said that they had found a fault in the line which means they might have to replace the line. But they are going to get the engineer team to check things out on their end first.
      If its not sky's problem then he said we have to phone our phone line provider (so BT) and they have to fix it.

My dad told me that a few years ago some work was going on with the man hole cover outside our house. My dad said that all the wires go through that and a few years ago it was full with water. I dont know if that is the case on why the internet hasn't gotten so bad, for 2 years its been very slow internet (about 1.64mb download is what I remember) and just recently this week internet has become much much worse. I dont know what made it worsen all of a sudden but I just hope and engineer can come and help fix this line of ours.

I would check out those links but my internet wont load them for the time being, but I do thank you all for helping me out. This has been very frustrating, so I do really appreciate all of your help. Right now my friend is helping me out by checking out answers on here as well.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Whether the cables run overground or underground, they should be protected from water. Any joints tend to be made with gel crimps these days, but older joints won't be.

Of course cables can and do get damaged. Roots grow, heavy lorries damage the ducts which the cables are protected in and sometime people digging up the roads can also damage them.

If you can post your stats it would be useful but it sounds serious and someone needs to look at it.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Hello! Happy Days at last! After phoning Sky up for the third time they finally arranged a BT engineer to come out and look at it, and it was a fault in the line. We now have no noise on the phone! Internet seems to be able to load Youtube videos without needing to stop and buffer, as well as going on multiple sites at one time without any of the pages having problems loading.
      At the moment its just me using the internet so it seems to be quicker than what it was, but we'll see what happens when my siblings get home.

I just did a speed test and:

Ping~ 123
      download~4.31
      upload~0.74

Im hoping this will go up even more so (the BT guy said we should be getting about 10mb download). So hopefully in the next few days it should raise up even more and if not then I have to phone up sky.

Im hoping to get sky fibre sometime soon now once this sorts it self out. My dad keeps suggesting that we contact sky and see if we cant get some compensation, since the fault was the line not with the micro-filters I bought or the router I bought. But I dunno if sky would give any compensation though. . .

Right now Im happy that its at 4mb ŽD

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Sky can compensate for downtime, but there are specific conditions to be met. There is no harm in making a friendly call to see what is available.

Play the innocent, but upset customer. If you have made any out of pocket purchases (such as for a 3G or 4G dongle) they should have been agreed beforehand.

As for Sky Fibre, do check what speeds you might be able to attain first. The big difference is that FTTC speeds are from the cabinet, not the exchange. However the speeds do drop faster. So unless you are a long way from the cabinet or have an 'Exchange only Line' you should be able to get something nicer than you currently have.

Use the link below, but unless your line rental is with BT Retail, you will need to use the Address Checker option.

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

I went on the link but Im not entirely sure what it all means...

Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate(Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) Availability Date
      High Low High Low
      FTTC Range A (Clean) 50.7 35.2 12.4 7.8 -- Available
      FTTC Range B (Impacted) 43.6 23.9 12.4 6.1 -- Available
      WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 11 -- 8.5 to 14 Available
      WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 11 Up to 1 8.5 to 14 Available
      ADSL Max Up to 6 -- 5 to 8 Available
      WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
      Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
      Other Offerings
      Fibre Multicast -- -- -- Available
      Copper Multicast -- -- -- Available

I did check if we could get sky fibre in our area and they have it available in my area.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast