Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Continuing Problems with drop-outs and low speeds

This is a discussion on Continuing Problems with drop-outs and low speeds within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Sorry Tom, my mistake. I'd answered the question about WAN uptime earlier in the day/thread (post#2) and I think that ...

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Continuing Problems with drop-outs and low speeds

Sorry Tom, my mistake. I'd answered the question about WAN uptime earlier in the day/thread (post#2) and I think that must have stuck in my head and thought that was what you were talking about, completely missing you clearly wrote "router reboot".

2. Advertisement
      TheCowMan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wimborne
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hi,

I thought I would post some of the graphs that have been captured from the RouterStats-Lite software. This is in case someone with a bit of knowledge can see something that I as a layman cannot. I mean if there are signs of something happening that should definitely not then I know to persevere with Sky and BT to root the problem out. If the graphs simply show that my broadband is acting normally for a house so far from the exchange then I'll back off a bit. I have yet to enquire about the trees and their effect on the line with Sky. There has been a bit of crackling on the line and so this may be enough to persuade either company that something should be done perhaps.

Continuing Problems with drop-outs and low speeds-noisemargin-2014jul01-1841.jpg This one shows a few attempts to reduce the Noise Margin by rebooting the router via the software interface as directed by Saturday.

And the following is showing a few more attempts later in the evening. There was a negative spike before though which seems to be a fairly common occurrence as you will see from some of the other graphs (some are merely from where I have woken the laptop up from hibernation though). Each spike corresponds to a connection speed drop to zero for a second or two which I guess would be expected.

Continuing Problems with drop-outs and low speeds-noisemargin-2014jul01-1944.jpg

Continuing Problems with drop-outs and low speeds-noisemargin-2014jul01-2358.jpg Not sure what is going on here?

Continuing Problems with drop-outs and low speeds-noisemargin-2014jul03-0255.jpg This looks like a reboot of the router (but not carried out by me) at 02.26 at night. Is this the DLM resetting itself? I'm not totally sure how DLM works...

Continuing Problems with drop-outs and low speeds-noisemargin-2014jul03-1545.jpg One here showing a fair amount of activity.

Continuing Problems with drop-outs and low speeds-noisemargin-2014jul02-2142.jpg I thought I'd put this one here as I can't understand why the spike dips below 0 to -1 at 13.46 in the afternoon.

Sorry to bombard you with graphs (there are plenty more if you feel the need to examine more!) but it would be good to have someone check them out for me.

Many thanks,

TheCowMan

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

They all conclusively prove that you have an intermittent noise issue on your line which is well beyond what may be considered normal for a long line. The next stage is to determine whether the fault is within your home wiring (your problem to resolve) or somewhere between your home and the exchange (Sky's problem to resolve).

It may not be convenient, sorry, but that will mean running the same tests for a while with your router plugged into your test socket. On the face of it your earlier description suggests the problem isn't in your home wiring but you need to be sure. Sky will insist you try your test socket anyway before they will do anything about it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Saturday For This Useful Post:

TheCowMan (04-07-14)

TheCowMan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wimborne
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thanks Saturday.

I'll do as suggested and see how things pan out.

Cheers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12