Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Best third party manufacturer ADSL modem?

This is a discussion on Best third party manufacturer ADSL modem? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Dear all I hope everyone is well. I have been a Sky customer for some years. I have their ADSL ...

philipy1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: TUNBRIDGE WELLS
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Best third party manufacturer ADSL modem?

Dear all

I hope everyone is well.

I have been a Sky customer for some years. I have their ADSL/telephone line broadband offering as well as various Sky TV packages and the like. I have one of the Sagem routers - I forget which one.

My experience of the Sky broadband service has been mixed. I have essentially three major problems. They are:

1. I have a large-ish and old (Edwardian) house. This means that the signal does not propogate into some rooms. I bought a Belkin wireless booster last year but that hasn't done much to help. Indeed, it doesn't seem to "like" the Sagem router very much.

2. I have problems with the router's assignment of IP addresses. It tends to be that our smartphones, iPads, etc., tend to drop on and off of the network fairly randomly. I know this is a known issue with the Sagem router as I've read articles complaining about this.

3. The router appears to be struggling with the sheer number of wireless devices that nowadays need it. We have a desktop computer, a laptop, a wireless printer, two smartphones, a SONOS system, various NAS devices, etc. etc. The router seems to cry a lot at all of this stuff.

4. The router often loses broadband. I get that orange light of death randomly but fairly frequently. I've had telecons with the Sky tech support people about this from time to time and they always run every test they can think of and then claim they are baffled.

Taking all of this into account, I am thinking the best solution is to get a new router. I did briefly look into getting the new-ish Sky hub but I've read the reviews and they are not great.

I am therefore wondering what people on here would recommend in terms of a really good third party manufactured router? It would need to be an ADSL one. Price isn't really an issue - I'm much more interested in performance.

I tried calling Sky's tech support line to ask their advice. I spoke to a really nice lady but she said that all they do is support the Sky router and she didn't know. I understand that Sky do not let customers use third party manufactured routers but there are ways to get around this (pausing here, I am a bit surprised to hear this as this is a clear breach of competition law. I'm a lawyer so I'm going to write to the MDs of Netgear and a couple of the other major router manufacturers and suggest they bring an action against Sky).

I'd welcome any input. Many thanks.

Kind regards

Philip

2. Advertisement
      bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Sky
      Sky TV: SkyQ
      Thanks

Re: Best third party manufacturer ADSL modem?

Quote Originally Posted by philipy1 View Post
      Dear all

I hope everyone is well.

I have been a Sky customer for some years. I have their ADSL/telephone line broadband offering as well as various Sky TV packages and the like. I have one of the Sagem routers - I forget which one.

My experience of the Sky broadband service has been mixed. I have essentially three major problems. They are:

1. I have a large-ish and old (Edwardian) house. This means that the signal does not propogate into some rooms. I bought a Belkin wireless booster last year but that hasn't done much to help. Indeed, it doesn't seem to "like" the Sagem router very much.

2. I have problems with the router's assignment of IP addresses. It tends to be that our smartphones, iPads, etc., tend to drop on and off of the network fairly randomly. I know this is a known issue with the Sagem router as I've read articles complaining about this.

3. The router appears to be struggling with the sheer number of wireless devices that nowadays need it. We have a desktop computer, a laptop, a wireless printer, two smartphones, a SONOS system, various NAS devices, etc. etc. The router seems to cry a lot at all of this stuff.

4. The router often loses broadband. I get that orange light of death randomly but fairly frequently. I've had telecons with the Sky tech support people about this from time to time and they always run every test they can think of and then claim they are baffled.

Taking all of this into account, I am thinking the best solution is to get a new router. I did briefly look into getting the new-ish Sky hub but I've read the reviews and they are not great.

I am therefore wondering what people on here would recommend in terms of a really good third party manufactured router? It would need to be an ADSL one. Price isn't really an issue - I'm much more interested in performance.

I tried calling Sky's tech support line to ask their advice. I spoke to a really nice lady but she said that all they do is support the Sky router and she didn't know. I understand that Sky do not let customers use third party manufactured routers but there are ways to get around this (pausing here, I am a bit surprised to hear this as this is a clear breach of competition law. I'm a lawyer so I'm going to write to the MDs of Netgear and a couple of the other major router manufacturers and suggest they bring an action against Sky).

I'd welcome any input. Many thanks.

Kind regards

Philip
      This isn't a full reply but you can pay 5 extra per month for Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro and you can then use whatever router you want and get dedicated technical support on your own "special" telephone number.

For the best broadband speeds it used to be recommended that you buy a router which used the same chipset as your isp uses in the exchange. Someone more knowledgeable may be able to advise on what type is best on Sky's network.

You range issues unfortunately, probably won't be fixed with any one box but by wireless boosters around the house near the poor signal areas.

However the issue with too many devices may be fixed by a good 3rd party router.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Best third party manufacturer ADSL modem?

I believe Sky did change their T&Cs recently to allow the use of 3rd party routers with their ADSL service (not fibre though). However, not unreasonably, they can't offer support or troubleshooting other than for their own routers.

Wireless boosters can be very hit and miss and in some instances can make things worse. The type that piggy back off the existing wifi signal and rebroadcast it are generally hopeless. The type that have a wired connection back to the router of some sort e.g. ethernet or homeplug and then broadcast their own wifi signal are far superior. If you buy a new router you could re-purpose your old router for that purpose for the cost of a bit of ethernet cable or a couple of homeplugs.

Yes there are far better 3rd party routers in terms of wifi performance. You talk of two issues: range and multiple devices. I'd add a third which is wifi interference/channel choice. Have you surveyed your property with a wifi checker? There are various free software based ones which will run on phones or tablets and will show you what channels are in use and the best channel to use as well as signal strength. It won't show interference though. Prime candidates there are things like baby monitors, wireless cameras, microwave ovens, video senders and so on.

Just checking as well - I assume you know that your Sonos is broadcasting on one of the available channels and if you have several Sonos then you will have a "mesh" using that channel right throughout your home? You must ensure your wifi network is using a different channel. Sonos allows the choice of 1, 6 and 11. Use a different one for your wifi e.g. if Sonos is on 6 use 1 or 11.