Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Broadband painfully SLOW

This is a discussion on Broadband painfully SLOW within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Our broadband is so slow. I have spent the last hour and a half trawling though all the troubleshooting steps ...

bexmcd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01323
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear but not two listed above
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Broadband painfully SLOW

Our broadband is so slow. I have spent the last hour and a half trawling though all the troubleshooting steps and STILL I get a speed of check of 0.5

We are on sky unlimited. we now only have the the modem plugged in (in test socket) through a micro filter and have moved router away from everything that may cause interference. I have painstakenly tried every different channel. Still no change. I have plugged my mac in through ethernet cable, no wireless. STILL 0.5 max. Before I unplugged them I checked phones and lines were working fine.

I can not find what sky estimated our speed to be when we signed up, but I am pretty sure i would not have signed up with them with a speed of 0.5

ROUTER STATISTICS System Up Time: 00:54:07 Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time WAN PPPoA 45241 41038 0 2784 10777 00:53:23 LAN 100M/Full 40619 47659 0 10860 3330 00:54:02 WLAN 11M/54M 2340 98 0 297 2 00:53:50 ADSL Link Downstream Upstream Connection Speed 507 kbps 1019 kbps Line Attenuation 47 db 30 db Noise Margin 31 db 3 db

Anyone have any other suggestions?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Broadband painfully SLOW

Speed 507 kbps 1019 kbps
      Line Attenuation 47 db 30 db
      Noise Margin 31 db 3 db
      This shows your connection is heavily capped. You should have 7-8Mb. I would guess that your internal wiring is interfering with the signal causing DLM to heavily cap your speed. If you call Sky and ask them to reconfigure your line as you have made wiring changes they should be able to immediately raise your speed and possible put it on DLM training to improve it further.

Edit - If you then move your router back to its original position your speed will again plummet. You should buy, fit and use a filtered plate on the Master socket. Although a bit more expensive the VDSL plate is best. It performs better than an old type plate and is very easy to fit.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.