Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Would the ADSL line stats give a clue to what speed Fibre would give???

This is a discussion on Would the ADSL line stats give a clue to what speed Fibre would give??? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi folks, Just wondering if the line stats below would give an indication or clue to what speeds I might ...

malcky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Would the ADSL line stats give a clue to what speed Fibre would give???

Hi folks,

Just wondering if the line stats below would give an indication or clue to what speeds I might get when I get fibre?

Here is my stats if anyone knows.

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 23664 kbps 1304 kbps
      Line Attenuation 9.5 dB 6.6 dB
      Noise Margin 3.1 dB 6.6 dB

My area has all been upgraded and fibre is available to BT customers only for the time being.....not sure how long it is before BT release the information for other providers to start offering fibre service, so if anyone knows a rough timescale for that too would be nice.

Cheers

2. Advertisement
      dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Would the ADSL line stats give a clue to what speed Fibre would give???

Try looking at FTTC Check - BT Superfast Broadband Cabinet Availability Checker and see what Uplift Speed multiplier they suggest for your postcode. It's a decent indicator of the likely speed you might obtain with FTTC.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Well looking at that link and my post code of ky59nn it shows an uplift of 4.08, so with that figure it looks like I could get full speed offered by sky or any eventual ISP that will offer it in my area?

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Do you live next door to the telephone exchange? Don't see many people with an attenuation of 9.1db.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Koala5 View Post
      Do you live next door to the telephone exchange? Don't see many people with an attenuation of 9.1db.
      I dont live next door to the exchange but it is close, only 3 streets away and the green cabinet for me is 2 streets away in the opposite direction....literally a 2 minute walk to either one.

So, is it a safe bet that whenever & whoever I get a fibre connection with it will be a high connection speed?

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by malcky View Post
      I dont live next door to the exchange but it is close, only 3 streets away and the green cabinet for me is 2 streets away in the opposite direction....literally a 2 minute walk to either one.

So, is it a safe bet that whenever & whoever I get a fibre connection with it will be a high connection speed?
      Not necessarily.
      It's all about the distance to the cabinet.

Home >> Cab >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Exchange.
      Folks in this situation will get great fibre speeds compared to ADSL.

Home >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Cab >> Exchange.
      Folks in this situation won't.

The uplift quoted is 4.08, which means 4.08 times your current ADSL speed.
      This could either mean 4.08 X 23664Kbps = 96.5Mbps or 4.08 X what BT estimate you should be getting on ADSL, which is usually a fair bit less.

edit
      Your current attenuation of 9.5db suggests an overall line length to the exchange of around 750 metres.
      If that seems about right for the length it would be to walk, you can be fairly sure that it doesn't take any serious detours.
      Last edited by gymno; 16-06-14 at 05:29 PM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

The cabinet for me is closer then the exchange but not by much.....30 seconds walk difference if that.

Will just have to wait n see what I get when I eventually get it.

Anyone know how long it usually takes BT to let other providers offer fibre once the area has been done...weeks or months or just whenever BT gets round to it?

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Technically it's BT Openreach who lay the cables & connect the cabinets etc.

BT Retail have to acquire 'slots' in the cab in the same way that other isp's do, so if fibre is available from BT it can be from any other isp, as long as that isp wants to & has the necessary equipment installed in either your or another nearby exchange.

If your cab / exchange has only recently gone live it might be best to give sky a call, stating that you can already get it from BT.
      Sometimes sky's systems can take a few days to update or they're in the final process of allowing orders.