Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Recommended Non-Sky Router

This is a discussion on Recommended Non-Sky Router within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I've previously used my own router with Sky for a long time, however I ended up going back to ...

Khristian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NEDUDL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Dudley (Tye & Wear)

Recommended Non-Sky Router

I've previously used my own router with Sky for a long time, however I ended up going back to the SR101 whilst I had line issues.

Now on Broadband Pro and have had my profile tweaked to 3db and fastpath.

I'm now looking at going back to using my own router (as I prefer GB lan ports), not fussed about wireless as use a WNDAP360 in the middle of the property to maximise coverage.

My connection appears to be on the EasyNet backhaul, so looking for recommendations on the best router to use.

I have a spare DGND3700v1 and a Billion BiPac 7402NX laying around, so depending on reviews might use on of those.

Any suggestions would be great.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Near Portsmouth
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Re: Recommended Non-Sky Router

Most people have one or the other, not both. Why not run them both for a couple of weeks?

The DGND3700 does not support Sky's MER, so you are reliant on using the PPPoA settings. This shouldn't be an issue on your line, but worth considering.

From personal experience the USB ports on the DGND3700 are pants. You'll also no longer get any firmware support for the DGND3700v1. I can't recall if Netgear ever released a version (it was tested) that supports IPv6. Sky are currently working on IPv6 as the 3 most recent Sky routers all now support this. We have no further details at this time though.

Of course the DGND3700 does have both an ADSL and Ethernet WAN port, so you could use the Sky Hub to dial the connection and set up the DGND3700 to control your network.

Using the DLink DIR613.

Billion released a specific firmware update that added support for Sky's MER system for the Billion 7800. If you register on their website you can find it for downloading. I don't recall if there was one released for the 7402NX, but there is no harm in checking.

If there is no firmware that supports Sky's MER, then you'll need to rely on the PPPoA settings once more.

Capturing the log in details from the Sky Hub SR101 are described on this forum. You'll need Wireshark, but the guides show how to do this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms