Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Has Sky started hijacking DNS requests to non Sky DNS servers?

This is a discussion on Has Sky started hijacking DNS requests to non Sky DNS servers? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, We have Sky Broadband at our businesses' office, migrated from Be-there. We have our custom router we've used ...

Captain Yolo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Unhappy Has Sky started hijacking DNS requests to non Sky DNS servers?

Hi all,

We have Sky Broadband at our businesses' office, migrated from Be-there.

We have our custom router we've used for years, and we've got the OpenDNS servers set up on it so all devices in the office use their DNS servers for lookups.

However today I noticed that requests do not seem to be hitting OpenDNS's servers anymore, but seems to be going to Sky instead.

No configuration has been changed on either the router or any of our devices. When going to an invalid site, we should be redirected to www.website-unavailable.com, however this is not the case.

We also tried a website that Sky would block (just out of interest), and indeed, the 'Blocked by Sky' page appeared.

I've tried different DNS servers including Google's DNS servers, and servers from OpenNIC, both on the router and on the devices themselves, and we get the same results.

Doing NSlookups brings the correct hostnames for the DNS servers, so this makes me think Sky are doing some kind of Packet inspection, and sending any DNS packets to their own servers rather than the ones we specify.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Kind Regards,
      Captain Yolo

2. Advertisement
      gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: Has Sky started hijacking DNS requests to non Sky DNS servers?

That's all out of my league but there is some info here:
      Sky intercepting DNS calls?

Captain Yolo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hi Gymno,

Thanks for that, but I doubt Sky are caching stuff for servers like OpenNICs.

Kind Regards,

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Yolo View Post
      However today I noticed that requests do not seem to be hitting OpenDNS's servers anymore, but seems to be going to Sky instead.
      OpenDNS provides a test page. What does https://store.opendns.com/settings/home-free/ report?

If I set my DNS to OpenDNS I get "Success! You're now using OpenDNS" which would seem to indicate that I'm now using OpenDNS. However, if I then try to navigate to an invalid site I don't get www.website-unavailable.com. If I deliberately navigate to that page then there is a link which indicates that OpenDNS redirection ceased on the 6th June: see A new reason to love OpenDNS: no more ads or redirections which states that "As of June 6th, all of OpenDNS’s users will get NXDOMAIN and SERVFAIL messages to get truly RFC compliant DNS".

So, nothing sinister by Sky as far as I can tell - just a recent change by OpenDNS.