Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Helping a neighbour

This is a discussion on Helping a neighbour within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello, You may remember some issues I had a while back and one of my complaints was that someone 2 ...

redrum217uk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: DUNSTON
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box

Helping a neighbour

You may remember some issues I had a while back and one of my complaints was that someone 2 doors down from me got a higher sync speed.

Another neighbour, who is the house in between mine and the guy with the higher speed has been having a few problems with her broadband. Sky I have to say on this occasion were next to useless!

I managed to fix most her issues and convince her to move her router to a more central location, which has helped a lot. BUT i was quite suprised by her sync speed, I've posted her stats below:

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 1033610 1353717 0 7599 4625 16:11:35
      LAN 292 0 0 0 0 22:32:15
      WLAN 1456658 1131268 0 5645 8089 22:31:50
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 7005 kbps 1023 kbps
      Line Attenuation 29.0 db 14.8 db
      Noise Margin 12.8 db 14.2 db
      and these are my stats

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collision Pkts Tx b/s Rx b/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 404167 919683 0 0 0 23:25:30
      LAN Up 186121 77100 0 0 0 23:26:23
      WLAN Up 958816 469974 0 0 0 23:26:03

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 15647 kbps 1300 kbps
      Line Attenuation 28.5 dB 16.3 dB
      Noise Margin 6.1 dB 3.3 dB

Why is her sync speed so much lower than mine? The neighbour on the other side of her syncs at 18Mbps so even higher! Sky didn't seem that interested but did do a 10 day training on her line, which seems to be lowering her sync speed every day.

I know this might level out but it just seems odd that all this time she has had nearly half the speed as me! Any ideas?

Oh if it helps I have the SKY Hub 2 and she has a rather old Wifi G Sagem.

2. Advertisement
      tenar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newcastle NINE
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2304n
      Sky TV: none
      newcastle co down

Re: Helping a neighbour

if had poor set up sync rate would be lower as dlm will cap the line to suit quality of signal , this would be lowered to keep line running the 10 day re profile which raise her sync speed back up

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Near Portsmouth
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

How is her router connected to the telephone line?

Is she using any extension leads, microfilters, faceplates?

Ideally she should not be using any extension leads for the router and a filtered faceplate is by far the best option. The favoured one at present is the VDSL filtered faceplate as it can pull in those extra kbps. They are also fairly easy to install.

As tenar has pointed out, it looks like DLM has currently capped the line speed. If you look at your respective Line Attenuation figures, these are similar. However the Noise Margin figures show where things are different.

A friendly call to Sky ( 03442 414141 ) will get through to someone who, if you ask, should be able to ensure that DLM can be given a friendly 'kick' to restart the initial line profiling. Sure you can wait, but I'm not sure how many days it would take for DLM to reprofile it automatically.

Just explain to the person at Sky that she has made 'significant' improvements to the way the router is connected and they should be happy to oblige.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Central Scotland
      Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,586 Posts

Another point is, is she in the habit of switching the router Off? The WLAN up time is fairly low, which suggests rebooting the router. She should not power off the router or DLM may interpret it as a line fault and keep the speed low. As Scubbie says, keep the router as close to the master socket as possible and never use a telephone extension cable to connect it.

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.