Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Problems Connecting TP-Link TD-8817 to Sky DSL

This is a discussion on Problems Connecting TP-Link TD-8817 to Sky DSL within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi there. I'm an advanced user with a Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro connection (formally BeThere before they got bought by ...

drickerby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: TP-Link TD-8817
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Problems Connecting TP-Link TD-8817 to Sky DSL

Hi there.

I'm an advanced user with a Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro connection (formally BeThere before they got bought by O2 and then Sky). I have previously been using a Thomson TG585 v7 "BeBox" router to connect to the internet with, and while unreliable, slow and with occasional dropouts, it does make a connection to Sky.

I purchased a cheap TP-Link TD-8817 ADSL modem/router with the intent of using it in bridge mode with an Asus RT-N16 running dd-wrt, however first of all I am just trying to get the TD-8817 to connect to Sky on its own before I even get involved in bridge mode or use the RT-N16.

Despite following Sky's instructions on how to set up the router using a non-Sky modem as a previous O2 customer, I cannot get the TD-8817 to connect at all. My settings are as follows:

Problems Connecting TP-Link TD-8817 to Sky DSL-td-8817-1.jpg Problems Connecting TP-Link TD-8817 to Sky DSL-td-8817-2.jpg
      I have disabled all the other virtual circuits to avoid confusion. I have also tried connecting with both LLC and VC-Mux but both give the same result: nada.

I have also taken a screenshot of my line settings. It does show the modem is receiving DSL, but is not getting a WAN IP address:
      Problems Connecting TP-Link TD-8817 to Sky DSL-td-8817-3.jpg

I would be most appreciative if someone could check over my settings to see if there is anything I have overlooked. I do notice that my existing Thomson TG585 has both a username (install@o2broadband.co.uk) and what looks like a password (although it's just stars to me). I don't have a password as far as I know, and none of the sites that give settings say to use one.

Please, if anyone could help, I would be most grateful!

Cheers,
      -David

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Problems Connecting TP-Link TD-8817 to Sky DSL

I think whether a password is required or not depends on the router used. Some will connect without others need something in the box. Try 'password' or 'install', that may do the trick.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I think whether a password is required or not depends on the router used. Some will connect without others need something in the box. Try 'password' or 'install', that may do the trick.
      Hi, thanks for the advice. I managed to get the modem to connect by using the password "install" as well as changing the MTU up to 1492 on behest of someone on the Sky forums.

The problem I'm having now is that I can't get the RT-N16 to get a WAN address after I put the TD-8817 into bridge mode. I was told that if I just set the RT-N16 into "DHCP - Automatic Configuration" mode then it would just negotiate with the modem on the WAN port and get an IP from my ISP, but this hasn't happened.

My setup is as follows:
      I have the modem connected to the DSL line, and to the WAN port of the router via ethernet.
      The modem was set up to work with the ISP, and I confirmed it to have an internet connection. I then disabled the firewall, NAT and DHCP on the modem before changing it's IP to the 192.168.0.x subnet, and then placed it in bridge mode.
      My router, with the modem connected to the WAN port, is set to DHCP - Automatic Configuration, and is set up to do NAT, DHCP and firewall duties. It is set on a different subnet to the router, 192.168.1.x.
      The router does not get an IP address from the WAN - this remains at 0.0.0.0

Any ideas?

Cheers.

Thanks

My router, with the modem connected to the WAN port, is set to DHCP - Automatic Configuration, and is set up to do NAT, DHCP and firewall duties. It is set on a different subnet to the router, 192.168.1.x.
      Try giving the router a fixed address in the range of the modem instead of Automatic configuration.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

The router does have a fixed address. The DHCP - Automatic Configuration I'm talking about refers to the WAN.

Thanks

The DHCP - Automatic Configuration I'm talking about refers to the WAN.
      That is where I suggest you should choose 'Static Address' and insert an address in the range of the modem. If the DHCP server is disabled in the modem I don't think Automatic Configuration will work.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi,

Does anyone else have any advice on this? I'm afraid Isitme doesn't understand exactly what I'm trying to do so their advice isn't much good to me.

Isitme: The router needs to get an IP address from the ISP. I don't have a static IP address from the ISP which is why it is configured in DHCP mode.

At the moment I've got the router in half-bridge mode, but I'd like to be able to use the WAN port on it and have the modem in full-bridge mode so that only the router is visible to the outside world.

Thanks

Sorry I haven't been of any help. Maybe if you have a look at this PDF, which is how I have connected my DIR-635, you will get a better idea of what I mean. Using the DLink DIR613.

I am not sure if making the TP link invisible is possible. If you succeed please publish your method for the benefit of other members.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Sorry I haven't been of any help. Maybe if you have a look at this PDF, which is how I have connected my DIR-635, you will get a better idea of what I mean. Using the DLink DIR613.

I am not sure if making the TP link invisible is possible. If you succeed please publish your method for the benefit of other members.

Hi there.

I do appreciate the advice you gave, and apologise that it wasn't what I was looking for.

Yes, what I'm looking for is the WAN port on the router to get the IP from the ISP, so that the TP-Link device is just an invisible modem passthrough, but I'm not sure I can get this to be the case.

We'll see.

Cheers.