Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By coipu

Sky Broadband - US Netflix & Roku 3

This is a discussion on Sky Broadband - US Netflix & Roku 3 within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi All, I have recently signed up with Sky on their Unlimited Broadband (non-fibre) and was hoping to get some ...

carnfek is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky Broadband - US Netflix & Roku 3

Hi All,

I have recently signed up with Sky on their Unlimited Broadband (non-fibre) and was hoping to get some input from any users who are using Sky Broadband with Netflix and/or Roku 3?

I was interested in hearing experiences of those who are successfully using streaming services or whether there were any issues I should know about.

As Roku doesn't allow direct DNS modification, I assume I will also need to replace the SR102 with modem and/or router combination to allow DNS settings to be set so that I can access US Netflix content. Can anybody provide any input into how they have bypassed this issue?

Cheers
      Last edited by carnfek; 05-06-14 at 02:55 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: Sky Broadband - US Netflix & Roku 3

You would need to look into a VPN if you wish to get the Roku 3 to work as if it were say in the USA. DNS is just a table to look up the numerical address for a website.

Sadly the Sky routers don't have the facility to add a VPN to them, so any such settings will either need to be on the device or you will need to use a non-Sky router.

The same would be try for Netflix, although if you were to access Netflix via a PC then you could set up the VPN service on the PC.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

therealdj is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ashton
      Router: Sky SR101 Hub
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Hi Scubbie,

You might want to check out Unblock-Us - smarter faster VPN just changing your DNS gives you access to US netflix etc, its really good and ive been using it for months on my xbox and smart tele.
      As for the Roku carnfec, its pretty well locked down, there was a crack a few months ago but it looks like its been patched only way to go would be to go for a new router which allowed you to set DNS or VPN as far as I can see.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to therealdj For This Useful Post:

Scubbie (07-06-14)

coipu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EADER
      Router: pfSense 2.3.4(i386)
      Sky TV: Cord Cut
      Thanks

I use an Asus router, that allows me to set different DNS settings for individual devices on the network. I am also a skinflint so i just use the latest free DNS addresses listed on the net, using Google to find them.
      Scubbie likes this.

carnfek is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hi All,

Thanks for your input. I am aware that the Roku 3 and SkyHub don't allow you to manually set DNS settings.

I'm thinking of purchasing a TP Link W8980 or Asus DSL-N55U (most likely TP-Link). Assuming replacing the SkyHub completely with this modem-router will allow me to set DNS settings manually via services such as Unblock-US, to access Netflix US via my Roku 3. Will be having Sky installed within a few weeks and will see how it goes, fingers crossed!

coipu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EADER
      Router: pfSense 2.3.4(i386)
      Sky TV: Cord Cut
      Thanks

Also don't forget Hulu as Netflix's catalogue isn't as recent as it once was. I long for an all in one service, but that will be quite a way off in the future I guess. I have used both 30 quid Argos TP-Link(DD-WRT) and Asus(Merlin) and they are both awesome, well worth dumping the Sky Router for. CAUTION in case you wren't aware... touch nothing for the first ten days after install to allow the DLM to finish wrecking your perfect install stats :P

9. The Following User Says Thank You to coipu For This Useful Post:

carnfek (08-06-14)