Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

With these line stats, should I get higher speed?

This is a discussion on With these line stats, should I get higher speed? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I used to get a higher speed on this line but after moving to Sky it has dropped. I still ...

beneix is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MRWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: O2 Wireless Box II (Thomson TG585v7)
      Sky TV: Not on Sky TV
      Thanks

With these line stats, should I get higher speed?

I used to get a higher speed on this line but after moving to Sky it has dropped. I still get a decent 8.5 Mb/s down, but I used to get around 12.

These are my key stats:
      Modulation : ADSL2+
      Annex Mode : Annex A/L
      SNR Up : 5.5
      SNR Down : 6.1
      Line Attenuation Up : 16.0
      Line Attenuation Down : 31.0
      Data Rate Up : 1203
      Data Rate Down : 11263

I wonder why the line syncs only at 11.2, when it used to sync at around 16. Also, should I have Annex A/L? I tried setting the router to Annex M but it then it won't establish a connection at all.

Any tips welcome!

2. Advertisement
      gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: With these line stats, should I get higher speed?

Hi.

I can't give any tips tbh, but just point out the facts of what's the norm.

Firstly sky doesn't currently support annex-M, so annex A/L is the correct setting to use.
      (Sky uses annex-A. Annex-L is an ADSL2 spec).

With a downstream attenuation of 31db & target snr of 6db, one would normally expect to see a sync speed of around 16Mbps.
      With a non sky router this may be 1 or 2Mbps less, so 11.2Mbps is quite low.
      (Sky routers have firmware that takes advantage of recent DLM / exchange upgrades. Many customers reported 1 - 2Mbps improvements).

So, 11.2Mbps...
      On O2, was 16meg achieved by using a lower snr or was it at 6db?

Occasionally a line can be imperfect enough, without technically being faulty, to the point of yielding only 70% of what would be considered normal.

seraunu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: BT Home Hub 4
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

With those line stats I would be ****** because that's only slightly better than my up to 8 BT connection... on a 20CN exchange. Get on the phone, you should be expecting no less than 14-15megs, maybe as low as 11-12 during peak sometimes.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by seraunu View Post
      With those line stats I would be ****** because that's only slightly better than my up to 8 BT connection... on a 20CN exchange. Get on the phone, you should be expecting no less than 14-15megs, maybe as low as 11-12 during peak sometimes.
      Sync speeds, which are being discussed here, should never change due to the time of day.
      Sky doesn't employ traffic management on its LLU broadband products, so throughput speeds shouldn't either.

Broadband 'connect' customers are subject to traffic management.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by beneix View Post
      I used to get a higher speed on this line but after moving to Sky it has dropped. I still get a decent 8.5 Mb/s down, but I used to get around 12.

These are my key stats:
      Modulation : ADSL2+
      Annex Mode : Annex A/L
      SNR Up : 5.5
      SNR Down : 6.1
      Line Attenuation Up : 16.0
      Line Attenuation Down : 31.0
      Data Rate Up : 1203
      Data Rate Down : 11263

I wonder why the line syncs only at 11.2, when it used to sync at around 16. Also, should I have Annex A/L? I tried setting the router to Annex M but it then it won't establish a connection at all.

Any tips welcome!
      With that Line Attenuation you should be able to get a little better download speed. As gymno has mentioned Annex M isn't currently available and sadly it sounds like there will be a long wait if indeed it will be added.

For now I would be more concerned with why you have a low SNR/Noise Margin value (6.1dB) and the downstream speed isn't within the estimate for your line of 12-14mb ( SkyUser - Potential ADSL2 Line Speed Checker & Calculator ).

Some basics to check over first are:

• Are you connecting via an extension? If you are, then please use the Master Socket. Remember too that if you have made an extended ADSL cable, then check it for damage
      • What is the quality of your line? Perform a 'quiet line test' with a corded telephone ( Quiet Line Test )
      • Are you using microfilters or a filtered faceplate? Microfilters tend to last around 2 years, filtered faceplates longer. The latest VDSL (Mk2) filtered faceplate gets the best marks at present

Of course there might be one thing which will limit what you are able to do, and that might be compatibility with the kit in the exchange. Most of Sky's kit now uses the Broadcom chipset. If your O2 router uses a different type then it might be that you can't get the best connection speed.

How are you measuring the throughput speed? We tend to suggest the speedtest.net site, but it is recommended that this is done at different times of the day. Try to use a variety of servers too. Whilst the Manchester ones might be geographically closest to you, it may be that the ones in London offer the better results. It really depends on the route that your connection takes.

If the upload speed is important to you, then I would suggest that you consider upgrading to a Fibre product. Sky aren't the only choice available, but they do offer a choice based upon the 40/10 or 80/20 connection speeds. Check out the link below for an estimate of what you might get. Use the 'address checker' if you don't have a BT land line.

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gymno View Post
      Sync speeds, which are being discussed here.
      Yeah and I'm saying he should phone to get that fixed. He should be getting speeds of around at least 15-16 megabits.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Yeah and I'm saying he should phone to get that fixed.
      Which is bad advice. Low attenuation usually equates to high sync. If the attenuation is low and the sync is low that is 90% likely to be an issue with the home wiring and that is not a responsibility of Sky. So, wiring needs to be checked first and if the problem persists, then call Sky.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

There i am giving advice & i always forget the basics.

Check microfilter/s, use test socket etc...
      My bad.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I would still phone. What's wrong with phoning BT Wholesale, they are supposed to be the experts. How does LLU work anyway? Am I right in assuming it routes your connection to Sky around BT's Network? Example...With these line stats, should I get higher speed?-untitled.png That must be how it works because all that streaming etc and the amount of people that do it... that would all be coming back through BT if it didn't. Not everyone is tech savy.
      Last edited by seraunu; 31-05-14 at 09:29 PM.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

I would still phone. What's wrong with phoning BT Wholesale, they are supposed to be the experts. How does LLU work anyway? Am I right in assuming it routes your connection to Sky around BT's Network? Example...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	107 
Size:	3.9 KB 
ID:	5217 That must be how it works because all that streaming etc and the amount of people that do it... that would all be coming back through BT if it didn't. Not everyone is tech savy.
      What are you smoking?

Sky Broadband Unlimited has nothing to do with BTW. Expert or not, actually not as they are only interested in selling products to wholesale providers, not supporting people, BTW are not suitable.

Sure people can call Sky, but then what would be the point in posting a question on a forum such as this?

The question possed by the OP has nothing to do with the LLU kit in particular, well yes it does since they are now connected to Sky's LLU kit, not O2/Be's kit, but that isn't where I would look first.

Now getting to the potential cause of the problem, since this is where we can be helpful on this forum, it pay to check a few of the basics first.

First tech savvy... Try reading my earlier post. Sure there are a few technical terms. Master Socket, Extension, Line Attenuation, etc. However where possible I have referenced them or they have been referenced by the OP. If the OP, not yourself, doesn't know what I am referring to, then I will elaborate as required.

Sometimes it actually pays to use this technique to find out just how much someone knows. This isn't to trip them up or make us look superior, but to help judge just how confident someone is.

Now as for using BT's network, I guess that you are a little lost. Basically I share the same local infrastructure that a neighbour might use between my home and the telephone exchange. From that point things are very very different. Your BT connection will take you through BT's kit and their backhaul through to the BT servers. My connection will take me through Sky's LLU kit, through a backhaul that might be supplied by one of several suppliers, including BT, VM and Sky/Easynet. The link will take my connection through to Sky's own servers and from there to the Internet.

Now as the OP has moved from O2 to Sky and is using their own kit, things might be a little more complex. Regular contributors to this forum will be aware of these though and know to watch out for them.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast