Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By dog-man

Sky charging for replacement router

This is a discussion on Sky charging for replacement router within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi guys, After a bit of help! My Sky Broadband has been down for the past 10 days, during this ...

Karloh is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky charging for replacement router

Hi guys,

After a bit of help!

My Sky Broadband has been down for the past 10 days, during this time I've spoken to numerous members of their staff, had my case escalated, been sent a new microfilter, run through countless troubleshooting checks, all the way through with Sky acknowledging that their computer confirms my connection is down.

Today I've been told they they've exhausted all options and everything now points to the router being faulty. They said they normally charge 69.95 + postage for a new one, but would sell it to me for 39.95 + postage.

I'm sure they think of this as some form of goodwill gesture, but it seems outrageous to me that despite paying for a service i'm not getting, the amount of chasing I've done, and the fact it's their equipment that's faulty, I'm going to have to cough up for a new router to get back on connection.

Is there any way around this? What can I do?

Thanks in advance,

Karl

2. Advertisement
      dog-man is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: About 130 mtrs from the cabinet.
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

Re: Sky charging for replacement router

If sly still say we must use a sly router then I would either use my own router and damn them to hell, or leave sly altogether!

If sly insist that their own router is used then they must supply a working router at all times. It is not for the customer to purchase a router that they insist must be used.

Mystic Eddy is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Apple AirPort ac Time Capsule
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Agreeing to a new contract should secure you a free router.
      I Used To Have An Open Mind, But My Brain Kept Falling Out

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by dog-man
      If sly still say we must use a sly router then I would either use my own router and damn them to hell, or leave sly altogether!

If sly insist that their own router is used then they must supply a working router at all times. It is not for the customer to purchase a router that they insist must be used.
      They also insist that you use a sky box to get sky TV.

So it's the same story if a sky box goes kaput outside of its warranty period...
      Pay sky for a replacement or get your own 2nd hand one.

The T/C's regarding routers were altered a few months ago though.
      I'm pretty sure that technically it's now ok to use your own router.
      At least on an ADSL connection. (not that anyone adhered to the old T/C's anyway).

The best thing to do first though would be to borrow a sky router from someone & see if you're online.
      Or if not, take yours to a friends who's also on sky broadband & see if it works.

dog-man is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: About 130 mtrs from the cabinet.
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

I certainly never ever did!
      Or do!

gymno likes this.

bryan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leith
      Broadband ISP: PlusNet Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Technicolor TG582n Fibre Router
      Sky TV: Amstrad Sky+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Karloh View Post
      Hi guys,

After a bit of help!

My Sky Broadband has been down for the past 10 days, during this time I've spoken to numerous members of their staff, had my case escalated, been sent a new microfilter, run through countless troubleshooting checks, all the way through with Sky acknowledging that their computer confirms my connection is down.

Today I've been told they they've exhausted all options and everything now points to the router being faulty. They said they normally charge 69.95 + postage for a new one, but would sell it to me for 39.95 + postage.

I'm sure they think of this as some form of goodwill gesture, but it seems outrageous to me that despite paying for a service i'm not getting, the amount of chasing I've done, and the fact it's their equipment that's faulty, I'm going to have to cough up for a new router to get back on connection.

Is there any way around this? What can I do?

Thanks in advance,

Karl
      My router recently packed in as well after six plus years service and Sky wanted me to pay for a new router like you. I borrowed another Sky router from a friend and now that has just packed in as well. I plan to switch to PlusNet who are cheaper than Sky and will sell me a router for a lot less as well. I don't see the point of being with Sky any more, when I joined them they were the cheapest around but now they are not. Also I can't cancel my TV package if I have Sky broadband whereas if I'm with PlusNet I can cancel the TV package which includes Sky Sport so is around 46 pcm.

So in answer to your question what can I do - you could switch to another supplier and get a free/cheap router. Later on you can come back to Sky if you wanted and get a free router from them as well probably.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Sky
      Sky TV: SkyQ
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bryan View Post
      My router recently packed in as well after six plus years service and Sky wanted me to pay for a new router like you. I borrowed another Sky router from a friend and now that has just packed in as well. I plan to switch to PlusNet who are cheaper than Sky and will sell me a router for a lot less as well. I don't see the point of being with Sky any more, when I joined them they were the cheapest around but now they are not. Also I can't cancel my TV package if I have Sky broadband whereas if I'm with PlusNet I can cancel the TV package which includes Sky Sport so is around 46 pcm.

So in answer to your question what can I do - you could switch to another supplier and get a free/cheap router. Later on you can come back to Sky if you wanted and get a free router from them as well probably.
      You've been able to have Sky broadband (unlimited) without tv for about 3 years now, although if you don't want a contract it's 2.50 extra.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Eddy View Post
      Agreeing to a new contract should secure you a free router.
      This no longer gets you a free router. It's 20 plus 6.95 delivery.