Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Immersion Heater causing SNR drop?

This is a discussion on Immersion Heater causing SNR drop? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Our immersion heater to heat up the water turns on between 17:15 and 18:15, at those times, my noise margin ...

nellisere is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMBOSTO
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Immersion Heater causing SNR drop?

Our immersion heater to heat up the water turns on between 17:15 and 18:15, at those times, my noise margin drops from 3dB to nearly 0dB causing an unstable connection. Our router is plugged into the master socket at the front of the house on the ground floor, the immersion heater is upstairs at the back of the house, would you think it is the immersion heater causing this drop, if so is there any filters I can put in place to stop this?
      Name:  ztrjzrtj.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  19.4 KB
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Immersion Heater causing SNR drop?-ztrjzrtj.jpg  

2. Advertisement
      146Kg is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router:
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Immersion Heater causing SNR drop?

I'd try putting the immersion heater on at vastly different times of the day and not 17:15-18:15 to prove it is the cause.
      Unless there is telephone extension wiring in the vicinity of the hot water cylinder (and even then) it seems unlikely to be the culprit.

nellisere is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMBOSTO
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

It's started going down at 16:40, at 2.6dB now. I'm not really sure what else it could be. We have storage heaters but they're all electric and come on between 1am-6am, our immersion heater is the only thing that is turned on at the times when the noise margin goes down? I'll try putting the immersion heater on later tonight for an hour and see what happens.

146Kg is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router:
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

It may not be self inflicted, interference from a neighbours appliance could be to blame. I'd still go with your plan of putting it on at a different time to prove/disprove it is the heater, not just an extra hour as if the water is already hot it wouldn't be doing anything in the extra hour.