Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Doomed to have slow internet? :(

This is a discussion on Doomed to have slow internet? :( within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Just moved house from Bolton to Runcorn. I'm with Sky Unlimited and in Bolton was getting a nice 16Mbps connection ...

kl1k is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Doomed to have slow internet? :(

Just moved house from Bolton to Runcorn. I'm with Sky Unlimited and in Bolton was getting a nice 16Mbps connection with full speed.

Now having moved I first get told by Sky that they are not in my area and use BT for which I have to pay an additional 10.
      A bit of a rip off but that's not the issue.

After going through the 10 days of DLM I've been getting horrible speeds from day 1, with the last 2 days at around 17:00 the speed drops to 2kbps for around 3 hours.

At first I thought I was plugged into the master socket, the line would sync at 6Mbps, then over the course of 30 mins drop to 2Mbps. The max download speeds I was getting was 150Kbps.

Now I have found the master socket which has around 5 other sockets around the house wired to it. I've now removed all the other sockets and only have my router plugged in and it seems happy to sync at 6Mbps. Seems stable so far.

Here are my stats:

Connection 6112 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 28.5 dB 16.5 dB
      Noise Margin 14.3 dB 31.31 dB

I am still only getting download speeds of 150Kbps. Does this point to congestion on the exchange? Anything I can do to get better download speeds.....besides moving back to Bolton!

Next time I move Im going to check the broadband speeds first!

2. Advertisement
      bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Sky
      Sky TV: SkyQ
      Thanks

Re: Doomed to have slow internet? :(

Quote Originally Posted by kl1k View Post
      Just moved house from Bolton to Runcorn. I'm with Sky Unlimited and in Bolton was getting a nice 16Mbps connection with full speed.

Now having moved I first get told by Sky that they are not in my area and use BT for which I have to pay an additional 10.
      A bit of a rip off but that's not the issue.

After going through the 10 days of DLM I've been getting horrible speeds from day 1, with the last 2 days at around 17:00 the speed drops to 2kbps for around 3 hours.

At first I thought I was plugged into the master socket, the line would sync at 6Mbps, then over the course of 30 mins drop to 2Mbps. The max download speeds I was getting was 150Kbps.

Now I have found the master socket which has around 5 other sockets around the house wired to it. I've now removed all the other sockets and only have my router plugged in and it seems happy to sync at 6Mbps. Seems stable so far.

Here are my stats:

Connection 6112 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 28.5 dB 16.5 dB
      Noise Margin 14.3 dB 31.31 dB

I am still only getting download speeds of 150Kbps. Does this point to congestion on the exchange? Anything I can do to get better download speeds.....besides moving back to Bolton!

Next time I move Im going to check the broadband speeds first!
      You're on Sky Broadband Connect as confirmed by the upload speed.

Due to Sky being an LLU provider in most other exchanges they can only give you this service in this area (BT wholesale WILL NOT give providers a better service unless they buy their product in all exchanges).
      Your only option with Sky (to get better speeds) is to upgrade to fibre if it's available in your area, if not then you are stuck with this service.
      Look at www.Samknows.com to check the providers in your exchange, if it's only BT than you will need to find the best BT re-seller otherwise your next best bet will be talktalk who have more exchanges than Sky but not as many as BT.
      Quite a few areas also just have up to 8Mb from BT, but if talktalk are there they can do up to ~20Mb depending on your distance from exchange.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks - looks like I'm stuck with BT. No fibre on the exchange - they plan to roll it out this year.
      Also no TalkTalk in my area.

Guess I will just have to wait for fibre.

At this stage I would even be happy with 4Mbps download speeds

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Sky
      Sky TV: SkyQ
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kl1k View Post
      Thanks - looks like I'm stuck with BT. No fibre on the exchange - they plan to roll it out this year.
      Also no TalkTalk in my area.

Guess I will just have to wait for fibre.

At this stage I would even be happy with 4Mbps download speeds
      Sky did increase the bandwidth for broadband connect (yet again) a few months ago but it's still painfully slow at peak times for most people (from what I hear). If fibre comes to your cabinet then it may be offered at the same price or you may be able to get an introductory offer for a few months then 20 per month after that.
      For fibre, it will at least be uncapped though. You should also look to work out your distance from the cabinet (line length not straight line) to see what speed you can expect to get.
      Lots of people in rural areas are finding they get little to no increase from their upgrade if they are a long way from their cabinet.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Before I moved I was on Sky Unlimited - you mentioned I was now on Sky broadband connect - does that mean I'm no longer on unlimited and have a monthly cap of 40gb?

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Would appear so - their terms say go over and you get a notification; twice in 6 months and they will move you to another product. How exactly that's possible if there is no other product I've no idea. They do also have a "Network Management Policy" on that product so I'm wondering whether they'd resort to throttling once over 40GB? Maybe someone else can advise.

Connect is just a rebranded BT product for when Sky can't offer their own. Intrinsically it is a poor product made worse by Sky's unwillingness to pay BT more money for more bandwidth leading to severe congestion problems at peak times for many customers. Almost certainly, Sky make no money from Connect customers as BT's charges are so high. If they paid for more bandwidth too then the loss would be greater and/or they would have to significantly raise the price of an already costly product.

Sorry, but your move has cost you in more ways than one.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I think that would explain my severe throttling problems after 5pm for the last 2 days. I am probably over my 40GB limit already.

I am now fuming.

I was on Sky Unlimited, was told I have to pay an extra 10 after the move, but they didn't tell me I was then downgraded to Connect. So I pay extra for a now crippled capped service. Agghh!!!

Luckily I only have 2 months left on Sky, and then its time to move. Looks like the only option is BT Unlimited. Hoping its a lot better.

I wonder if early termination fees apply considering they no longer offer the service in my area...time to dig out my contract and look at the T&C's

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

After 5pm could easily be congestion not throttling.

Yes, you should have been told that your package conditions had changed. But other than that you can't really blame Sky for BT's rubbish product. I'm guessing you moved for free? In which case that will have cost Sky a packet in BT charges and now you're about to leave them.

Good luck with moving to BT. Their service is legendary (and not in a good way). If it's an option then go with Plusnet. Still BT but a completely different experience and good support.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yes - moved for free.
      I will have to look around and see what is the best option. One thing for sure is I need unlimited. What am I supposed to do with 40GB!

It seems plusnet are available. I will look into them.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Hi folks,

I had a quick look on the Samknows site and there are 2 exchanges in Runcorn. Both have Sky's kit. Perhaps kl1k can double check that I picked the right exchanges, but this would suggest that the LLU kit is full, rather than not having any.

SamKnows - Telephone Exchange Search

Another point of interest was that both exchanges were FTTC enabled. It might be worth looking at the possibility of upgrading to SFU. Check the link below to see if it is possible. You will need to use the 'Address checker' link as phone numbers on Sky's network aren't accessible to the checker.

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast